Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
bradley

My UM2 X/Y is skipping steps at high speeds! Thought that was licked long ago?

I haven't printed in a while, as been busy with other projects, but I'm noticing that my UM2 is skipping steps on both the X/Y axis when doing a long "jump" at high speed. So X and Y starting positions on subsequent layers are off by about 1mm on each axis, causing a leaning print in both x+y. All belts are super tight. All pulleys are super tight. All axis are straight and lubed. What gives? Naturally, printing at normal speed results in no issues.

Now I've also got a totally tweaked/modded UM original which is a beast of printer and can print flawlessly at super high speeds. However, it does have much bigger motors than the UM2

I'm I not remembering something? I thought the UM2 was engineered to print super fast and flawlessly? Was I imagining this?

Thoughts?

*B

If you *tune* the speed up to 150%, then you not only increase printing speed, but also traveling speed (which is usually much higher than printing speed). If traveling speed would for example have been set to 200mm/s, then that would become 300mm/s after tuning, which might be higher than the maximum the stepper motors can handle without skipping. Could that be the cause?

When playing around with tuning speed up very high, just to see what would happen to my extrusion, I experienced something similar.

I would suggest you try setting the printing speed at a desired high value in Cura (or whatever slicer you use), but without increasing traveling speed above a safe maximum. See if that works?