Flexible PLA Results

greens83

Posted · Flexible PLA Results

I am considering fetting some flexible PLA to print some rotational moulds.

They would have quite a lot of detail.

I understand Flexible PLA is harder to print with, my question is:

Is it harder to print with it but the same results are possible If the settings are optimised ?

Or is it inferior to rigid PLA and no matter how much you play with the settings it will never be as good ?

Does anyone have any experience with it/images of prints etc ?

Any advise would very welcome.

My other option is to print rigid and make a silicone mould from the rigid print.

I've done a few prints with it. You NEED the extruder drive upgrade, else you cannot print it. Then you still need to print slow.

There was this youtube movie about the flex uploaded yesterday.

I would not recommend it for parts where you have to do a lot of retraction. I was able to get some decent results with it, even on a Yoda bust, but I turned the heat way up so that it practically oozed out and played with the speed. <- Not a best practice, nor conducive for retraction, but it worked...

Thanks for the replies all, Im optimisitc about using this stuff for some mould making, Il post back in a month or two with some results.

When was the extruder drive upgrade introduced ? Im fairly sure I have it already (machine shipped last month).

You probably do then. If you have a spring on the outside and a roller on the inside you do. The old setup used a pressure plate.