Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
mastory

Idea to limit area of model to add support.

Support is often only needed in certain areas of a print- maybe only one side, or only an isolated tricky area. Currently, we can only specify to add support over the entire model, or not. I am proposing that a tool could be added to the Cura interface where the user draws geometry on the the build platform. Rectangles or circles would be good. The user could then tell Cura to only place support either inside or outside the specified geometry. The resulting support would be according to the existing rules (overhang angle, all over, touching buildplate) in vertical zones defined by the geometry that would run from bottom to top of the print.

Matt

If I understand correctly what you're saying, the problem you mention already exists.  If you choose 'touching buildplate' or 'everywhere' it is universal for the whole model (according the overhang settings ofc)?   I don't think my suggestion would have any effect on that.  What I'm suggesting would only add an additional filter to limit the supported areas.  A good usage may be 'everywhere' plus limited areas per the user preference.

I suppose you could add a second or third sketch plane and place support only in the intersected volumes, but it seems overly complicated.

Edited by Guest