Share your print settings, help the 3D printing community and win prizes !

si2w

Posted (edited) · Share your print settings, help the 3D printing community and win prizes !

I created Filaments.directory to help the community to find new filament with ease by collecting data about filaments all over the world. I launched last week a new feature where users can share their print settings for the combination printer and filament. The goal is to collect as much data as possible, create default profile and avoid the trial and error process when using a new product. All the user's settings are shared under Creative Commons by-nc-sa/4.0 licence.

I launched a contest to celebrate the new feature with Wanhao, Colorfabb, Extrudr and Innofil.

filaments-directory-contest-16.jpg

If you register on Filaments.directory, you have one chance to win.

If you share a print setting, one more chance. The more you share, the more likely you will win one of the 35 prizes.

Contest : I want to participate

Thanks for your help !

PS : we like feedback. If your filament or printer is not listed, please comment this post.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Share your print settings, help the 3D printing community and win prizes !

@SandervG

I am not sure how this is gonna go, but Ultimaker kinda has done this, for their own filaments and machines in Cura.

Adding UM filament to your directory would be nice, but also redundant as it is already in Cura

But if you add the filaments, then I could kinda break the contest and win stuff, by adding all the settings embedded in Cura for UM filament(that's a ton, for different filaments and printers). Ok from the rules you need to supply your own picture. So no free lottery tickets for me(I added a colorfabb print I did for fun).

But yeah. UM filament had a bad name with the first few spools (light blue and silver I remember), but since that was fixed it is great stuff, giving me good results. Now with all the new types they have a lot of variety to add to the list.

What happens to the pictures if I might ask? I cant seem to find them on the site.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Share your print settings, help the 3D printing community and win prizes !

but since that was fixed it is great stuff, giving me good results. Now with all the new types they have a lot of variety to add to the list.

It's also one of the most expensive PLA you can find...

I'll stick to my ICE filaments, I have 2,3kg for the same price as 750gr UM PLA

http://www.trideus.be/nl/pla-brave-black-23kg.html

Posted · Share your print settings, help the 3D printing community and win prizes !

@frederiekpascal I'm only making a point on that it is worth including(unlike nameless random china brand filament sold by 123inkt.nl for example), not on the pricing.

If you are willing to pay for certainty, like many companies are, then buying the UM filament from UM with the NFC in the UM3 is a great option. Like I said, it also renders the inclusion in filaments.directory rather redundant.

@frederiekpascal I'm only making a point on that it is worth including(unlike nameless random china brand filament sold by 123inkt.nl for example), not on the pricing.

If you are willing to pay for certainty, like many companies are, then buying the UM filament from UM with the NFC in the UM3 is a great option. Like I said, it also renders the inclusion in filaments.directory rather redundant.

Understood, I was one of the victims with the bad silver UM PLA, that's why i'm not a fan of it anymore... And also I got the same results with ICE PLA :)

But you are right it should be included in the filaments directory. ;)

For the Ultimaker 3 it might be redundant, but if you have an Ultimaker 2(+) or Ultimaker Original it might be relevant.

I was not really sure if you asked me something, in your first post or just making a statement.

Well just making sure you read the topic ;) So you could either help with exchanging data with @si2w like which filaments you have/want int or something.

Or perhaps make a statement if UM somehow thinks things should be done differently regarding their data.

And to correct me from making false statements, I thought Cura 2.3 also had profiles for UMaterials(see what I did there?) for other UMachines(on a roll here!). I thought wrong!

We would like for sure to get the Ultimaker data (both filaments and settings) with pleasure on the website. The database behind is able to handle terabytes of data.

We will add slicers export before the end of 2016 for Cura, Simplify3D, Kissslicer and Slic3r.

Even for UM3, users may be interested into having other options for many reasons like type of plastics, composites, cost, color, etc... They will need a way to find and source them. They will need after to find the right settings.

For the pictures of the settings on the website, they will be added in the next release.

We will release also an explore page where users can see what others printed.

Thanks for the feedback !