Build volume issue Cura 2.3 release

kmanstudios

Posted · Build volume issue Cura 2.3 release

I am very new to all of this. I am experimenting with the software before I buy the printer (Um3 Extended) and I may be doing something wrong. I dunno, but it doesn't make sense to me. All things are exported out in millimeters for proper size checks and compatibility with the software.

I am running the Cura 2.3 with the profile of Ultimaker 3 extended. But, quoting the below figures for dual extrusion, I have to reduce a model to about 85% of it's size to let it start slicing.

I am using 3DS MAX. I am building the objects within a volume using (x) 7.8, (y) 8.5 and (z) 11.8. Everything is at 100% scaling before export to STL. Using a bit of 'margin' in MAX, I make sure all things are within that volume easily and not pushing edges at all. But an 85% reduction is strange to get it to start to slice. And, it throws all of my engineering our of whack. i.e. A battery pack ain't gonna fit a battery if it's been reduced by 85% of the scaled 3D object. And, even when I import it into Cura at 100%, it does not even come close to the greyed border edges.

Am I missing something?

Sizes as used

Dual extrusion:

197 x 215 x 300 mm

(7.8 x 8.5 x 11.8 inches)

By default, under the tab' build plate adhesion' (advanced) there is a raft/brim/skirt active, depending on the chosen material.

Playing with these makes the difference, brim line count can be reduced. In the 'view mode'->'layers' you can see what happens on the first layer when you change stuff.

brim is to prevent the curling up of the edges, and this depends on your model, material and settings. Sharp corners with thick walls and solid inside tend to curl up because of cooling/shrinking of the material. If your model allows it you can make circular holes near the corners, or make the corners round (fillet/chamfer) also helps.

Posted (edited) · Build volume issue Cura 2.3 release

Ok, as far as I know, I got it licked. Turns out it was the priming tower was located 'inside the print area'. Once I found that I got my stage together in MAX so that I can output at 100%.

Thanks for the links to the information. It really helped a lot. Can't wait for December to get the printer and test some of this stuff out beyond the software. This is one of the things I could not get to load and slice until recently. Thanks!!

Edited by Guest