linear bearing or sintered bushing

Posted · linear bearing or sintered bushing

Hi! I'm trying to understand the difference between a bearing and a bushing.

Why all the ultimakers use bronze bushing on the external x-y axes?

The difference of the other axes is that the pieces have two movements, linear and rotational. But why is better using the bushings there?

I wonder if changing with bearings could be a good modification.

thks.

Hi SpecialKrio,

Thank you for your post. How are your projects going? Is the video finished already?

Are you talking in general? A bushing is more like a sleeve, in this case a bronze cylindrical sleeve that ensures a smooth transition over the rods.

A bearing has ball bearings etc so there is even less friction.

Or do you mean why we use bearing or bushings in some locations? Or why bronze? I would have to double check.

Hey dude! how's going! Nice to hear you again.

Yes. the shooting is complete and I'm now working on the post-production and editing.

This year I had other tasks to do, i stopped to work on it for several months and so the timing has become drammatically extended :(!.. but yes... I'm very happy about the result! As soon as I can, I'll upload some photoes on my Ultimaker's Profile!

Anyway... about my question on "bearing or sintered bushing": I'm trying to understand why all the ultimakers use the bushing on the external x,y axes, and also the differences between them and their application field.

I guess because the linear bearing (as the name suggests) can only slide and not rotate?

So generally a bearing gives less friction(but only in one direction), what about accuracy? Have them the same "play"? If yes how to mesure?

I saw the ULTI2 has a different bushing. Ithink an "graphite copper bushing".

Which are the benefits? Less friction? Do they need oil or they are "self- dry-lubricating"? do they fit on an ULTI original?

I have alot of other questions, but I risk to go out of theme...maybe later! :)

Thanks!

You are new here. We are a supportive forum. Your informative links are very much appreciated. The insulting tone of your comment, not so much.

the answers of a support should be at least qualified, if you are so susceptible to a comment, that only those who do not use the internet could be considered an offense, it is better that you change the name of the forum to "Inconclusive Chat" rather than "Modifications and Hacks"

the answers of a support should be at least qualified, if you are so susceptible to a comment, that only those who do not use the internet could be considered an offense, it is better that you change the name of the forum to "Inconclusive Chat" rather than "Modifications and Hacks"

Look at the flair of the user you dissed. Look at mine. Look at yours. The etiquette of this board is not like 4chan. The standard here is to comment as if you are face to face. Many of us do meet with each other at conferences and maker faires. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you would not say "Never made use of Google in your life?" to someone you were talking to for the first time at a conference.

Also, user/ultiarjan 's statement, notwithstanding the existence of combination bearings, is correct. The Ultimaker design uses bushings for XY. Combination bearings instead of bushings would be both overkill and a design problem. Given that the movement rod diameter is 8mm, a bearing outer diameter would be ~15mm, rather than the existing bushing outer diameter of 11mm. This would require a redesign of the slider blocks and more clearance inside the case.

• Like 4

Lets get back to topic

Anyway... about my question on "bearing or sintered bushing": I'm trying to understand why all the ultimakers use the bushing on the external x,y axes, and also the differences between them and their application field.

Google has some answers

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,242758

https://m.reddit.com/r/Reprap/comments/2cr3sa/linear_ball_bearings_vs_bronze_bushings_vs_igus/

Also this is very interesting

http://dabbletron.com/bearings-vs-bushings/

The main difference is how efficiently they work changing positions rapidly without giving friction (that could increase ringing or force the motors to push harder)

Anyhow as long as they are good, almost anything can 'work' but ideally atm linear bearings on the head work better.

• Like 1

I made this topic just because I have some ideas in my mind for my Ulti Original that's why is in this chat. And sorry if is a repetitive topic. My question was more like a confirm question.

I've also asked about the "pois-like bushing" aka "graphite copper bushing". Are them used in the Ulti 2 or, they come from the unofficial market?

If they are used in the Ulti 2, do they give an considerable benefit? (for our printer in terms of time and costs spent).

Sorry if the question about maintenance wasn't clear... I was talking about the "graphite copper" bushing and not about "whole copper" one. I guess it doesn't need oil... but yet... is still not clear to me if they are used on new ultimaker's machines or not.

Thanks to everybody and peace!

All Ultimakers use non graphite bushings. Dunno if this helps but a few days ago i opened the slideblocks of my um3 and is the same bushing too.