Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  

extruder jamming and leaking solutions and cutting feed tube

Recommended Posts

After spending quite some time getting my machine working I just wanted to share some learns.


The instructions specify the use of teflon tape (mine unit came with a little ribbon of the stuff) After developing leaks I tried reapplying the tape and ended up with some of the same issues. I suggest using an automotive high temp liquid sealant like Permatex High Temp Thread sealant. Way easier to use and works at temps in the 400 degree range.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automo ... ealant.htm


As for the head jamming the instructions specify setting the feed and speed to 50mm. This caused all kinds of issues for my machine. I suggest starting at half that and increase from there. Also I found I needed to run at 260 and turn off the auto temp in the Gcode creation settings.

When I ran into jamming issues I cut the feed tube's mangled end and must of got some of the tube end in the nozzle because it was jammed up REAL good. To clean out the nozzle I took it off and heated it with a propane torch and blew it out with compressed air. (from both sides) Worked like a charm. I also needed to clean the PEEK adapter of PLA residue. Did the same thing, lightly heated with the torch and blew it out.

Currently printing my first successful print... I'll try to add some additional things I have learned as I go.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I too had leaks using the teflon tape that was suggested in the instructions. I took c ernst's advice and bought some of the high temp sealant he tried. Don't know yet if its going to work or not.

In addition to the sealant, I made a fiber washer out of thick paper gasket material from an auto parts store and clamped it between the peek cylinder and the aluminum block. If the sealant doesn't work, I am pretty certain the gasket will work.

Also tried a small countersink in the end of the bowdan tube where it seals against the brass tube.

I am hoping all these measures will keep me leak free.

I will follow up on how it all works out.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
      We're not only trying to always make Ultimaker Cura better with the usual new features and improvements we build, but we're also trying to make it more pleasant to operate. The interface was the focus for the upcoming release, from which we would already like to present you the first glance. 
        • Like
      • 114 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!