UMO+ Not feeding when printing, but when heating it pushes filament through

Sai

Posted · UMO+ Not feeding when printing, but when heating it pushes filament through

Hey,

First-time poster, and new to the UM community.

I've had no problem with my UMO+ for a week or so, it's pretty new, and I've been pretty happy with it asides the one or two things that some guides shave helped fix.

I finished a print no more than an hour ago, came out fine.

The printer went back to the home position and I preheated to start the next part of the print.

When starting the print, nothing is coming from the nozzle at all. If I let it run for about a minute, nothing happens still, so I'll abort the print with Cura and auto home. I'll push the bed away from the nozzle and then filament starts pushing out.

After this, I put it on preheat again, which is still pushing filament out of the nozzle.

So now I'm a bit puzzled. Is there a blockage that I need to clear or something else? The filament doesn't look like it's been ground and there's no plastic coming out anywhere above the nozzle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I hope I got this in the right forum.

Posted · UMO+ Not feeding when printing, but when heating it pushes filament through

Hi and welcome!

Assuming all your hotend and feeder is properly assembled you need to preheat the hotend and turn the feeder wheel until you see filament coming out.

The starting gcode of a print has instructions to feed (purge) more or less filament. So I would start there if this happens only before starting a print.

But also I would review the feeder assembly and printing process.

Can you check all this videos? I know is boring but they did an amazing job explaining visually all the key parts of the assembly.

And this cideo at minute 4 shows a correct feeder assembled

To me it sounds like the home position in your case is with the nozzle pressed against the bed, blocking the nozzle. Stopping the print and removing the bed from the nozzle allowed filament to flow through right? Or did I misunderstand?

If what Titus is asking is true, then you will need to re-level your bed. Make sure a piece of regular printer paper will slip between the nozzle and the glass bed with a bit of drag in all three locations. Also make sure there is no filament stuck to the tip of the nozzle when you level it (don't ask how I know to check for this).

On the UMO+ (I assume the UMO as well) you can manually rotate the feeder wheel to prime the nozzle prior to running your print. I usually preheat the bed first since it takes longer, then the nozzle, and once it reaches at least 180C (for PLA), I rotate the feeder wheel by hand until some filament starts oozing out. Some filament will continue to ooze after that, but as long as it's not too much it should get stuck to the glass and wiped off as the printer homes and starts the print. You can also remove the excess material with tweezers just as the bed starts to move up.