Hot end Fan doesn't work..

erege

Posted · Hot end Fan doesn't work..

Hi All!

I've been playing around with my new ultimaker, and after some prints, I'v noticed that the hot end cooling fan never turns on.

I've checked the box in advanced settings of Cura for activating the Fan, and checked also the connections with the board, and they seem to be ok.

Someone can get me a clue of what is happening?

Thanks in advance!!

Check your minimum fan speed. If it's not high enough, the fan won't engage... Something in the order of 100 or so would be my guess for what you should have. This value will change slightly depending on the the layer time, so if it thinks it doesn't need a lot of cooling, and your minimum fan speed isn't high enough, it won't supply enough juice to the fan. Other than that, check your fan's wires all the way through to the connection at the top of the printhead. Sometimes those inside the box can slide over to the hotend and strip/melt off the casing, causing the current to simply bypass the fan. Other than that, you likely have either a bad fan, bad connection (fan to cable, cable to board), or a bad output in the board.

Check your minimum fan speed. If it's not high enough, the fan won't engage... Something in the order of 100 or so would be my guess for what you should have. This value will change slightly depending on the the layer time, so if it thinks it doesn't need a lot of cooling, and your minimum fan speed isn't high enough, it won't supply enough juice to the fan. Other than that, check your fan's wires all the way through to the connection at the top of the printhead. Sometimes those inside the box can slide over to the hotend and strip/melt off the casing, causing the current to simply bypass the fan. Other than that, you likely have either a bad fan, bad connection (fan to cable, cable to board), or a bad output in the board.

you need about 25 (out of 255) (or 10 out of 100%) for the fan to start spinning, but even then you have a tiny almost useless airflow. 20-25% is the lowest and still meaningful airflow I use.

After assembling i had the same problem. I ask the support of ultimaker and we get a solution.

First i got a new fan but it doesn't work.

Second i got a new PCB and a new cabeling and it works.

Now everything works fine and i am very happy. The support was very good and they helped not only for my core problem, but sometimes you have to remember them. (shipping the replacement was not in time :-) )