Y-axis not moving

Posted · Y-axis not moving

So far all I know is the motor works, and its not cables to the motor. And I believe the problem comes from my attempt to increase the power of my X-axis since it was stuttering. When I was tweaking the power I was accidently modifying the Y-axis and not the X-axis, and now I am afraid I turned to too much and possibly in the wrong direction. Is there any way to reset it back to the Factory standards.

I have been testing the motors in Cura using the "Jog" function, and when I try to move the Y-axis it sounds like it tries but only for a second. After that it does not even seem to try to move anymore. I would really like to get this thing woking already.

Did you adjust the stepper power while the motor power was on? This can destroy up the stepper drivers. (Quite easy actually, I found out yesterday)

There is some info about tuning the steppers here:

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Electronics_b ... or_drivers

At the Ultimaker HQ, the steppers are tuned to give out 1.2A I think. But we use a special setup to measure that.

Is there any way to reset it back to the Factory standards.

Not particularly... there aren't any endstops, so you would have to break out the multimeter and measure across the chip, then adjust, then measure, then adjust, potentially to only find out you fried it already. I would just order a new one if you are absolutely certain your steppers are not being powered properly. http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2128http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2128

Before you do that , check all of your pulleys, particularly the ones attached to the stepper shafts, are secure. They can be quite deceptive in that the motor will very quietly turn inside those pulleys, making it seem as though the motor is not turning, when in actuality it's just fine, the pulley connection is the issue.

I never removed the cover with the power on, so I did not fry anything that way. And I re-did all the Pulleys and even swapped the belts around since I still had a studder problem with the X-axis. (which I fixed already with some tweaking.) During that I tried running the Y-axis motor without any resistance but it still wont turn. I hear a noise like much like the Z-axis when it moves .1 mm. The belt does not move at all however.

I already ordered another driver hopefully it will work. I am still trying to get this one too work, I believe that I turned it the wrong way so instead of boosting the power too much I think did the opposite and I am hopeful it is still fixable. I have not had any luck though.

Three other things I noticed that have me worried are all except one of my long belt are pretty loose at the moment and I have no clue on how to tighten them anymore than they are. Also the Wires to the stoppers seam to lay on the pulleys in a couple of places. The worse thing I have noticed is that the repeated removal of the Electronics cover cause the heatsink on the Extruder driver to get knocked off. I am confident I can put it back on when I get some more thermal compound but I was just wondering how likely it is to overheat.

I would check if the stepper that is not working has the same order for the 4 colored cables as all the others. if they are in a different order, it would explain that the stepper isnt moving.

to further eliminate points of trouble, remove the 4 screws holding the stepper, and lay it flat on the bed, and see if the pinion gear is moving as it should (and if the set screw is properly set)

I would check if the stepper that is not working has the same order for the 4 colored cables as all the others. if they are in a different order, it would explain that the stepper isnt moving.

to further eliminate points of trouble, remove the 4 screws holding the stepper, and lay it flat on the bed, and see if the pinion gear is moving as it should (and if the set screw is properly set)

The motor and its cables are fine, I know this because I can plug it into the X-axis controller and it will work fine, so the Problem is in either the Electronics or Cura. And I have not way of tell if Cura is just not sending the signal, but I dont think it is it either. The Y-axis was working before and it was the X-axis that was having trouble, in my Haste to fix the X-axis I may have damaged the Y-axis stepper board. Since then I got the X-axis running smoothly when I started actually tweaking the right board' power setting.

My favorite belt tensioners: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:17058

I had a similar problem after trying to adjust the drivers. I replaced the driver(s) and everything was mas bueno... I would suggest to the Wiki-masters that they remove or update the driver adjustment to show the user some sort of range of adjustment. I.e. without endstops do we turn it a full turn? a quarter turn? five degrees?

My favorite belt tensioners: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:17058

I had a similar problem after trying to adjust the drivers. I replaced the driver(s) and everything was mas bueno... I would suggest to the Wiki-masters that they remove or update the driver adjustment to show the user some sort of range of adjustment. I.e. without endstops do we turn it a full turn? a quarter turn? five degrees?

I found some files already but thanks anyhow. And I agree that there needs to be more information on it so others dont make the same mistake. Although mine was mostly from mixing up the Y and X-axis drivers. Its kinda hard to so for all the wires.

I am looking forward to tomorrow, there are a lot of upgrades I want to print.