Ultimaker3 firmware : let's make things beter ...

ultiarjan

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker3 firmware : let's make things beter ...

I know the UM3 software is still 'in the making' so let's collect some user experience to improve the firmware.

ANYBODY, please share your experience on unexpected behavior of the firmware.

@SandervG I'm sure you'll be able to get the developers notice this thread.

Here's a few of my findings on changing cores and materials;

scenario1;

Changing a CORE;

- change core2

- heatup, unload material (just a bit)

- take out BB core

- Put in AA core

* WARNING: "core not compatible"

- click continue

- "place a printcore"  (he hello... printer, there's already one in)

Now there's no way to get out of this menu, you can try to remove and place again, wont help.. only option is REBOOT.

Suggestion: let me simply overrule the warning, and preferably directly manual select a different material.

scenario2;

When I first unload a material, and then directly after that 'change printcore' the printer will warm the core again to remove the material that's not there .... waist of time, but ok I'll wait...

I place a new core, the printers tells me to remove it (????) I do that, and directly get a 'max temperature error'

Can not get out of this, need to reboot...

and about updating firmware;

If you go to update firmware, the printer will update even if the installed firmware is still the latest. I would like to see if there's a new version available and only then decide to update Y/N

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · Ultimaker3 firmware : let's make things beter ...

I gave it a little more thought, and I think I would like the material/core change part of the firmware to look like this;

Unload material;

(just unload, scenario; you want to take out nylon, or PVa to store it, but don't want to do another print now)

load material;

just load material, the correct core is already loaded.

change material;

only change material, you want to keep working with the already loaded core.

change core;

this is a bit more complicated. I see 2 options, the 2th is probably the best;

simple;

Always fully unload/change the material, assuming in 99% of the time you want to change material when you change a core (not true if you change from 0.4 to 0.6 f.e) -plus; no risk of reentering material with a string on it, you can cut it to a nice tip again.

After change core, ask question, do you want to load material Y/N.

less simple;

Start with a question, "do you want to fully unload material Y/N" and based on that do a "short retract" or fully unload of material.

After change core, ask question, do you want to load material Y/N.

Anyhow the "change core" part of the menu needs the option to at the same time change material.

• Like 1