Print quality issues

drindt

Posted · Print quality issues

Hello,

my ultimaker 2+ is a few months old and have today printed for 800 hours. From the beginning i experienced on the surface small waves. Now the problem is much more visible.5a3323d26a5db_2016-11-1722_26_48.thumb.jpg.1e28c361eb0e31bd11fc9ef70da6d460.jpg.

Someone know which knob to press to solve this issue? :)

Thank you a lot for your support!

Daniel

5a3323d26a5db_2016-11-1722_26_48.thumb.jpg.1e28c361eb0e31bd11fc9ef70da6d460.jpg

I don't know if that is fixable. Well you can try different filaments. Lighter colors will hide that a bit more. But more importantly different colors flow differently and some show up repeating patterns like this better and other's just kind of come out more like toothpaste and don't show up details like this.

I think the X and Y axes are 80 steps/mm and 16 microstepping so 5 full steps per mm. Are those lines exactly 5mm apart (in X - not along the surface)? This could be the zebra step issue but I don't think so - these look too visible for 45 degrees. Usually "zebra" steps are only visible when within tilted 10 degrees from X or Y or Z axis.

The shop owner send me another printer. Printed the same object again and without those waves. Also when i move the print head i feel the replacement printer have much more strong hold to the head. There is a difference between them. As i investigated the belts i have recognized there is oil on the black blocks, this might be cause of the issue?

There shouldn't be oil on the black blocks but it won't hurt them either.

> Also when i move the print head i feel the replacement printer have much more strong hold to the head.

This is definitely related to the problem I'm sure. Something was wrong with the blocks or the belts. Inside the blocks is a strong spring that keeps the belt tight. Maybe something was wrong with the spring.