Remote start

Jlarson

I have purchased the Ultimaker 3 and really like the network capability. I would like to be able to remote start the machine without being next to machine. I can dump program from Cura, but when I select the UM3 it asks me to allow access to the machine. Is there anyway to turn this off so I can print directly to the machine without an "allow" to be pressed on machine first? I can see the machine in the camera and know it is clear. I setup the machine before I leave for the day (along with other machines) and would like to remote start when jobs come in last afternoon or after hours. I can remote into my computer and start other machines and would like same access to Ultimaker. I can also get text messages or e-mail when jobs are complete from the Stratasys machine. Are these options in the future?

Posted (edited) · Remote start

You should only need to confirm on the printer once for every computer/cura combination.

Not quite true at this moment: I agree that I don't have to go the machine and allow access to my Mac every time I start Cura, but every now and again I have to grant access to my (same) Mac again. Don't know why, not a big nuisance, but indeed it would be convenient if the UM3 permanently remembered that access was granted. Small bug perhaps?

Edited by Guest

You should only need to confirm on the printer once for every computer/cura combination.

Not quite true at this moment: I agree that I don't have to go the machine and allow access to my Mac every time I start Cura, but every now and again I have to grant access to my (same) Mac again. Don't know why, not a big nuisance, but indeed it would be convenient if the UM3 permanently remembered that access was granted. Small bug perhaps?

It should do this. If it forgets it, it might be a bug (either on the printers side or on the side of Cura)

Posted · Remote start

I currently have 3 UM's (2 - UM2+'s and the 1- UM3) running thru CURA. The 2+'s run on the SD card and the 3 is hooked up thru LAN. I switch settings depending on the machine I am using. I am the only one with access to my machines and they are clear. I remote into my system, build / slice the job or part and send to the machine. I have cameras within my office to verify everything is good to go and would really like to turn the "access" request off or ON permanently. Seems like this should be a simple code switch. Would be great if I could select the access form the computer sending it.

Does Cura need to remain open to maintain the access? Or once Cura is closed does that reset the access?

It should do this. If it forgets it, it might be a bug (either on the printers side or on the side of Cura)

Does Cura need to remain open to maintain the access? Or once Cura is closed does that reset the access?  

No. Cura saves the access with a machine added to Cura. So if you have 3 machines, Cura should also have 3 machines added. Each of those (virtual) machines in Cura can then be linked to a physical machine.

Posted · Remote start

The UM2's are not physically connected to computer. I save to SD card for them. Cura does have all three machines loaded into "machines" and I select whichever one I am using. The UM 3 is connected via LAN / network but still asks "allow user" on machine every time I try to print. Evidently, the connection access is getting lost. (Have not shut machine off since it has started running jobs.) Does a great job of printing! I remote in to my computer a lot and would like to start the UM3 when I am not physically on site. I leave machine cleaned and ready to start before I leave for the day.

Is there a setting in Cura that my be off? Something I missed on setup?

No. Cura saves the access with a machine added to Cura. So if you have 3 machines, Cura should also have 3 machines added. Each of those (virtual) machines in Cura can then be linked to a physical machine.

Is there a setting in Cura that my be off? Something I missed on setup?

Nothing I can think off. I've been using the same authentication for some time now. Both Cura and the machine closed a number of times since first authenticating it (which is also how it's intended to work)