Activating Print Sequence in Cura

farmerritchie

Posted · Activating Print Sequence in Cura

I have small models that I would like to print sequentially. I have found examples using 'Print Sequence' in the Forums. However, I cannot activate the setting in Cura 2.3.1.

I have loaded 2 models on either side of the build plate and selected all models. I expect to see the Print Sequence option. It is checked under Preferences / Settings Visibility. My models are 8.2mm tall and 12.6mm in diameter, so I don't think they are too large.  I understand from previous posts that the 'Print Sequence' option may not appear if models that are too high, but don't find any specifics on how high is too high - I am guessing 50-60 mm to the lowest printhead rod for the first layer, so think I have plenty of room.

Printing a single model on my new Ultimaker3 works fine. Cura is running under Windows 10. I use a thumb drive to transfer files so am not connected to my printer. I am new to  3-D printing and to Cura.

I'd appreciate advice on how I can activate 'Print Sequence' in Cura or what to look for in my models that might be preventing activation.

Many Thanks

Welcome to the forum, @farmerritchie

AFAIK this option is deactivated in the machine settings for all devices with more than one extruder train. If you use only one nozzle for your prints, you can enable the "Print Sequence" setting by manually editing the machine definition file.

See this topic.

Thank you tinkergnome for the welcome to the forum and for the redirect. It is exactly what I needed.

I searched the forums but did not find the posting you sent me too. It is good to know that I wasn't missing something obvious in the Cura profile settings. It is also good to know that my decision to go for an open source solution was the right one. I have only had my Ultimaker 3 for 72 hours, and am happy with what I am able to do. I expect I will be pushing the limits for small models so will likely be back for more advice and hopefully will have something to share as well.

Thanks again

• Like 1

Print sequence has been disabled for the um3, because the move to the switching bay could move through already printed parts. These movement constraints make the existing algorithm for one at a time printing inadequate.

I am still looking for a solution to this problem for using a single extruder with the Ultimaker3. I have independently sliced 9 models, each in a different position in a 3x3 array spread across my printer bed in Cura. Now I would like to stitch the 9 gcode files together into one gocode file, where I know that the extruder head path avoids previous models. I plan to eliminate the duplicated setup code at the beginning of files 2-9 and at the end of files 1-8.

I can find the start of each object in the G-code :

;TYPE:SKIRT

as well as  the end (lines 1-12 below).  I think I should delete the lines before the  ;TYPE:SKIRT label and lines 2-12 below (and the rest of the ;SETTING lines that follow).

Am I deleting any relevant commands?  I know this is not elegant, but am just looking to get the job done.

Thaks for any suggestions!

1.   G1 X48.504 Y180.476 E47.60104

2.   M204 S5000   ;SET DEFAULT ACCELERATION

3.   M205 X30     ;MINIMUM TRAVEL SPEED

4.   G0 F15000 X48.5 Y180.62

5.   ;TIME_ELAPSED:881.021566

6.   G1 F1500 E41.10104

7.   M204 S3000   ;SET DEFAULT ACCELERATION

8.   M205 X20     ;MINIMUM TRAVEL SPEED

9.   M107         ;FAN OFF

10.   M104 S0      ;SET EXTRUDER TARGET TEMP (turn off?)

11.   M104 T1 S0   ;SET EXTRUDER TARGET TEMP (turn off?)

12.   ;End of Gcode