Dual Head Print My first with S3D

bob-hepple

Posted · Dual Head Print My first with S3D

Hi Bob

That looks great!...Was this print done on the UM3 Can you share your start-up script. I purchased S3D a while ago and can never get it to work properly with my UM2. I would also like to use it on my UM3 Thanks

Mel

Mel

Thanks for the Reply,  No Sorry it was not done on a UM3, Although I do use s3D on my UM2 and have no problems..

Bob

I have tried a number of times with my UM2 with no success mainly at the beginning of the print, positioning and purging....would you mind sharing your start up script?

Mel

This works for me I make sure I'm about to catch the filament with a pice of wire just spool it

Start

G28 ; Home all axes

M907 900 ;Reducing the current for extruder ( remove this line I use it for Bondtechs)

G1 F3000 X20 Y20 Z20 ; Bring extruder to the front slowly

G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length

G1 F150 E25 ; purge nozzle with 25 mm of filament

G1 F1800 X30 Y30 Z5

G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length again

G1 F255 E0.25 ; purge the extruded length 0.25mm

End

E-5.0 F500

G1 F2000 Z120.0

G28 X0 ; home the X-axis

M104 S0 ; turn off heaters

M140 S0 ; turn off bed

M84 ; disable motors

Hope this helps

Bob,

What would interest me is how you dealt with reducing the temperature to the proper standby-temperature for the material loaded in the inactive extruder (to avoid carbonizing/clogging and the works).

Also: how do you manage heating up that inactive nozzle prior to doing an extruder change to avoid waiting for the nozzle to reach extrusion temperature?

Can you please share with us how you did this?

Zwakie

The answer is I didn't,,, The print was at about layer 5 when I dropped the Temp to 175 then time taken for the second head was not that long so there was not much time for the idle head to cook the filament, I then killed the temp and the end of the layer where the second head was not being used, Bothe heads used the priming Pillar but after the second head was finished with, I then Killed the priming pillar.. so the only single head then printed the remainder of print..

I think what your after is being worked on for S3D

...I think what your after is being worked on for S3D

Thanks for clarifying how you pulled it of. You are correct, what I was looking for is the automatic temperature control of the inactive/active nozzle around switching nozzles. This not being in place right now has kept me form using S3D for dual extrusion on my UM3.

I understand S3D will need time to work out this smart heating/cooling system, hopefully they will be able to integrate it shortly since I really like their slicer :)

I contacted them about the Priming pillar, which you cant specify when to end and was told they are working on it..and the Temp inactive/active.

• Like 2

I contacted them about the Priming pillar,  which you cant specify when to end and was told they are working on it..and the Temp  inactive/active.

That's great news. Thanks for the sharing that with us :)