Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Filament stopped at thinnest part of print

Recommended Posts

I recently had a print that started with a great base, but filament ran thin and stopped extruding at the thinnest part.

Printer is an Ultimaker 2. I usually have to run it a little hot (about 235 degrees) to get PLA to flow consistently. Has a new nozzle that has only been used with PLA.

Underextrusion seems like a really tricky problem, but was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Pressure too high? Too low?

Thanks for your help!





Edited by Guest

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your replies!

No, I did not change the coupler- you think it's gone bad?


If you have ruled out everything else, then yes. It is hard to check and swap out, so it is always the last thing you check for.

Clean nozzle?

Quality material?

Clean knurled thing in the feeder?

Tangle free spool?

Easy spinning spool holder?

Same settings you have had success with before?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's an UM2 (not UM2+) with the old PTFE coupler then I would definitely change it. I would make sure that you replace it with the new one in the UM2+ as they last a lot longer. You could also print a spacer to replace the spring as the spring presses to much over time and deforms the end of the coupler.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! This helped, though I think there are a few things wrong with this machine.

PTFE coupler definitely helped the heating issue. I ordered some replacements, but in the meantime I trimmed off the burned edge as recommended in another thread. This worked very well. It's easily putting out PLA at 210C like the day I got it. So thanks for the awesome advice.

Probably should have mentioned, but the printer has a replacement filament extruder stepper. It was running hot and melting filament, so I'm running it at a lower current (advice from Ultimaker Support), and it did the trick.

Even after trimming the coupler, the job was failing at the same point. I reduced the retraction from 4mm to 2mm (started at 0.5mm and raised it up during the print). Print came out looking nice. Probably not a great recommendation for anyone else, but worked for my machine in it's weirdo condition.

I ordered a factory extruder stepper motor (got my current one from a 3rd party)- hoping to get this thing back in ship shape. It was a rental printer for a while, and got pretty beat up.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
      We're not only trying to always make Ultimaker Cura better with the usual new features and improvements we build, but we're also trying to make it more pleasant to operate. The interface was the focus for the upcoming release, from which we would already like to present you the first glance. 
        • Like
      • 125 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!