Cura 2.3.1 - Automatically drop models to the build plate - bug

amagro

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.3.1 - Automatically drop models to the build plate - bug

Hi,

I think the option Automatically drop models to the build plate is not working correctly.

I intend to reinforce some subparts of a main part by changing the infill density, but when I import the subparts they stay alligned in the center (2nd image), and not on the correct place (1st image).

Basically I want to do something like this instructables, but now in Cura.

Screenshot_1.thumb.jpg.1e0259710fdbcaacea7ec597796e73c4.jpg

This is what appened in Cura

Screenshot_2.thumb.jpg.3e25ca8f197090e999a59ada247413e7.jpg

Cheers,

AMagro

Screenshot_1.thumb.jpg.1e0259710fdbcaacea7ec597796e73c4.jpg

Screenshot_2.thumb.jpg.3e25ca8f197090e999a59ada247413e7.jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.3.1 - Automatically drop models to the build plate - bug

did you save them as separate stl's?

If you save them from your cad as part1. part2 and part3 and load all 3 of them in Cura,  they show up next to each other on the build plate.

Shift-select your 3 parts and right-click choosing merge models will position them back as in your cad drawing.

The 'Automatically drop models to the build plate' function means that they are independent of your cad values in the z direction and are resting on the bed.

Looks like you used the 'ensure models are kept apart' to allow models to intersect.

When they are separate you can add different settings to each part.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura 2.3.1 - Automatically drop models to the build plate - bug

There is a pretty good tutorial about this that can be found on

2.4 will have project handling. This means that you can save multiple objects on a single plate as a project and that any per object settings will also be saved (and loaded).

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for the tips, but I still cannot do what I intend.

Basically I want to export 2 parts to Cura, and leave them on the original CAD position, in order to change the infill density of one of them.

main_part.thumb.jpg.346f35abd619183c0931661ac66e8ba1.jpg

This is what Cura do:

Cura_main_part.thumb.jpg.47074c628208596e351dc43d7e9f6fc8.jpg

I'm capable of doing this in Slic3r and Simplify3D, but lately I'm exploring Cura and thought that maybe this operation could be done, is that possible?

Tks,

AMagro

main_part.thumb.jpg.346f35abd619183c0931661ac66e8ba1.jpg

Cura_main_part.thumb.jpg.47074c628208596e351dc43d7e9f6fc8.jpg

The trick is after the merge, we need to "Ungroup Models".

Why do you need to ungroup? That breaks the models apart again.

In the merged object, you can Ctrl-click to select a single object, and then you can use the Per Model Settings tool to make the settings you need.

Alternatively, if you insist you want to ungroup the objects after merging, you can turn off the options "Automatically drop models to the build plate" and "Ensure models are kept apart". But the whole intention of the "merge" functionality is to keep the objects merged/grouped.

• Like 1

Hi ahoeben,

Thanks for your clarification, and for the "Ctrl-Click" tip.

The problem was when I merged the parts, I thought they would be combined in one single part and the subparts wouldn't be selectable anymore, that's why I found the workaround presented in the last post.

Problem solved.

Tks,

AMagro

I am having issues with my models either floating above my build plate or below. (CURA ver. 2.4 ) I then brought my models in CURA ver. 15.04.6 and they were fine.  

I was loading six parts arranged together at first.  I then separated them out and imported them individually to CURA 2.4.  One part was sunken under the build plate while the others were on top.  I then cleared my build plate and brought in just the sunken part.  It came in below the plate again.  I triple checked my CAD file and all parts are above the CPlane.  

If it works in CURA ver. 15.04.6 why not in ver. 2.4?

After writing my post, I tried turning my parts into a mesh before exporting as a .stl. That worked. Normally, I don't convert them to a mesh first.

Edited by Guest