Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
perlguy

Extra Part?!

I have a bolt that has a knurled end on it for finger tightening, but I don't see in the instructions where it goes.

It seems like it would go where you can add tension to the filament, but the length seems too short to be able to get it threaded with the spring on it. (my fingers are worn out)

I've attached a photo of the mysterious part.

20150501_180422.thumb.jpg.089ce0b03c3e4688f30334b7709825da.jpg

Anyone know where this goes?

Thanks!

Glad I saw this post as that was the exact question I was going to ask... Like perlguy, I also tried (very hard :mrgreen: ) to stick the knurled bolt into the back of the extruder unit but had to concede that it was too short for that. Glad to know I didn't miss anything, although, it kind of would have been nice to be able to adjust the tension without a screwdriver. Why didn't UM just replace the knurled bolt with a longer one (obviously it can't be for cost cutting reasons because they are still including the, now useless, knurled bolt from previous assembly)...

Anyway, my other "extra parts concern" had to do with a little baggy of set-screws - of which I didn't use any at all. Is this also an artifact from a previous version - or did I actually miss something with those?

Thanks!

Marko

With the new feeder you wont have to adjust the tension anymore so there's no need for a knurled bolt (trust me, this is a good thing...).

The only parts needing set screws, unless something drastic has changed, would be the pullies and the coupler for the z-axis motor. But IIRC those already had the set screws inserted when I completed my build. That might have changed though since it's been about a year since then.

The extra setscrews are included for "just in case". We had a few cases where one of the set-screws in a pulley where bad and needed replacement. Throwing in a few extra setscrews costs us little, but can save a heap of trouble.

Note, the kits a year ago had a heap of extra parts. I still have a part bin from my build a year ago.