Creak / grinding noise from rear corner

dazkeirle

Posted (edited) · Creak / grinding noise from rear corner

I recently purchased an UM2 that has been upgraded to a 2+. It was a good deal and was supposed to be full working condition but there's a noise which doesn't sound healthy.

Prints beautifully but the rear right corner produces some sound when the print head moves over a specific location.

The previous owner had mentioned he'd recently tightened pulleys etc, and for sure after loosening the stepper pulley using the 4 screws the noise is less, but of course there is a slightly sloppy belt.

I was able to make the noise disappear for a while by adjusting the belt and pulling it towards the front of the machine but it has come back after a short while.

There was build up of rubber dust on the stepper motor, and theres quite a bit in each of the pulley grooves (it has 2k hours on it) so I guess a good cleaning is required but what I want to know is, should I strip down that back stepper area and isolate or is there a more methodical way of going about this?

I can't work out if the creak is from the stepper area itself, the pulley above it or the corresponding pulley. Do those linear bearings need oil?

Here's a video: https://goo.gl/photos/imRBUj6PMbo5bLXP6

Many many thanks.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Creak / grinding noise from rear corner

I have the exact same thing happening to my UM2+ Extended for the last month or so. It was originally an UM2 that i upgraded a while back. I tightened the pulleys as instructed when doing the upgrade and all was well, but now i have the sound.

Anyone any ideas?

Just a quick one, does your sit flat on a table?

Mine rocks, on guidance I'm gonna adjust the frame and see if that helps.

It's on a table and doesn't seem to shake or anything. I do have some gel feet cushions on it to reduce any shake etc.

2016-10-25-at-23.19.44.jpg

I really meant the frame itself. Might be an indication of how true the frame is (although there are tons of people on here where the from left leg is higher).

Anyhow, I think I'm getting somewhere, just testing now.

I simply removed everything from rear right, cleaned the pulleys and the stepper, aligned it and put it back together. There's a definite improvement but it may only be necessary.

When screwing the 4 stepper screws I was careful to do a little at a time on each round and round to ensure they stay true.

You printing with ABS there?

Unfortunately for me that printer was a bargain as I am the culprit that sold it with a defect! Seriously, glad it sounds like it might be on the mend. It was only making the sound described occasionally when I packed it and I think the ordeal of being sold and packed up may have helped move the frame around. Hopefully this is the case! In the meantime I am doing the same adjustment on my remaining Ultimaker 2+.

It will be interesting to hear a) if this did indeed solve the problem and b) if anyone else has the same issue.

• Like 1

No, I generally don't bother with ABS any more. The enclosure/door is just used when I want to control the temperature and avoid any drafts or sudden temp drops.

Unfortunately for me that printer was a bargain as I am the culprit that sold it with a defect!

You're paraphrasing there, There was no way you would have knowingly sold me a dodgy printer, having met you and seeing your projects / reading you blog I don't think that would have been the case here (not have I ever said that it was).

Yes, the noise is gone for now and has been printing ever since. (Fantastically may I add).

To help others let me say what I did:

I think the stepper may have slightly skewed and that then skewed the belt, not a lot but enough to create uneven tension. A search reveals lots of people with issues in that area.

There was also a slight buildup of rubber in the grooves which I cleaned out with some ISO and so that may have also contributed to the belts not sitting right.

I also cleaned and oiled the stepper itself, which had an immediate change of feel.

I think you're right Will, the process of packaging may have jolted it, it would also be pretty easy to catch the belt with fingers when removing from the box so it may have even been me that made it worse!

Either way I think we may have solved the intermittent problem by solving the exasperated problem.

When I'm over the honeymoon period of printing lots of things with ridiculous quality I'll probably take down the other side and give that a service too.

Just to conclude this nicely, here's what it sounds like now: https://goo.gl/photos/Y4aihrqQczxKqg739

Edited by Guest

Unfortunately for me that printer was a bargain as I am the culprit that sold it with a defect!

When I'm over the honeymoon period of printing lots of things with ridiculous quality I'll probably take down the other side and give that a service too.

I have to do the same maintenance to my other UM2+ as I am sure that it needs it. I suspect there are other UM2's out there that could use the same tuneup as well. It would be interesting to see how it prints the test object that I included...if you have the time you might want to give it a go as the gcode is on the SD card. As soon as I get the time I am going to print the torture test, do the above tuneup, and then print it again. Glad you are enjoying the printer!

No,  I generally don't bother with ABS any more. The enclosure/door is just used when I want to control the temperature and avoid any drafts or sudden temp drops.

I have the same enclosure and the same comment on ABS.  I still have a couple of reels of it but they do not get used and at some point will likely go.  The enclosure, on the other hand, is helpful in my drafty man cave for more stable build area temps and faster heatups when using higher bed temps.

Edited by Guest

I think I may get at least the door add-on to keep little (very pesky) fingers out but tbh I think my days of printing ABS are over. The faster heat up and draft control would be a bonus.

I'm so old-school that I didn't really realise that there were now polymers that were heat resistant like ABS but without the hassles and so I'll have plenty of fun trying them old (Wisar is even sending me a few samples as he's obviously a legend).

I have now just tried S3D with it as I wanted a bit more control over the prints and am just finishing a 50% marble run model at 60 microns, a good a test as any.

So far definitely no grinding or squeaking at all. Just the usual movement sounds and the rather funky retraction beeps.

When this has finished I think I may do the same on the left side and give it a good clear out on the gearing of any rubber build-up because while it may not necessarily solve a problem right now, can only help in preventing one in the future. The belts themselves though all seem in perfectly good shape.

Ultimaker should be commended on making an incredibly serviceable machine. Not only is everything accessible with just a few hex screws removed, but it's a very simple design and it's all very visible and manageable without fancy tools.

All together I love how simple this thing is to use and run, it's basically plug and play. I'd forgotten bed adhesion issues were even a thing (although I took your advice and wiped a smidgen of hairspray this time due to the length of the print).

Yes, the noise is gone for now and has been printing ever since. (Fantastically may I add).

I think the stepper may have slightly skewed and that then skewed the belt, not a lot but enough to create uneven tension. A search reveals lots of people with issues in that area.

There was also a slight buildup of rubber in the grooves which I cleaned out with some ISO and so that may have also contributed to the belts not sitting right.

I also cleaned and oiled the stepper itself, which had an immediate change of feel.

Just to conclude this nicely, here's what it sounds like now: https://goo.gl/photos/Y4aihrqQczxKqg739

One other thought since you mentioned the belt shreddding--how many print hours are on the machine? I usually find around 3000 print hours is a good wear and tear time for replacing belts.

I also don't see the blue clip in the printhead. Not sure if I'm just missing it in the shadows, but just wanted to mention it. You may want to go ahead and print some spares if it's missing.

One other thought since you mentioned the belt shredding--how many print hours are on the machine? I usually find around 3000 print hours is a good wear and tear time for replacing belts.

I also don't see the blue clip in the printhead. Not sure if I'm just missing it in the shadows, but just wanted to mention it. You may want to go ahead and print some spares if it's missing.

Hey, yeah about 2.4k so I guess may be a good time to replace, but I've got everything pretty quiet now.

I realised about the clips pretty early on, so was one of the first things I printed, the head now has one, the back needed 2 but it works fine.

Only slight noise I have now a tiny slight friction when doing single layer z screw movements. Very much fine tuning now but I'm sure I'll get that resolved with maybe a clean and regrease.

Thanks for the heads-up though. This is my first bowden.

Edited by Guest

One other thought since you mentioned the belt shredding--how many print hours are on the machine? I usually find around 3000 print hours is a good wear and tear time for replacing belts.

Hey, yeah about 2.4k so I guess may be a good time to replace, but I've got everything pretty quiet now.

I realised about the clips pretty early on, so was one of the first things I printed, the head now has one, the back needed 2 but it works fine.

Only slight noise I have now a tiny slight friction when doing single layer z screw movements. Very much fine tuning now but I'm sure I'll get that resolved with maybe a clean and regrease.

Thanks for the heads-up though. This is my first bowden.

I am 99.5% sure that there was an extra blue clip in the little box...but always good to print a couple!

I am 99.5% sure that there was an extra blue clip in the little box...but always good to print a couple!

You're absolutely right, there was one in there. I just didn't notice it. Just assumed the one had fallen out from the top. Seemed pretty trivial.

TBH I only noticed it moving and thought, that doesn't look right, went onto thingiverse found some clips, stuck em on an SD card, 4 minutes later I had 4 printed in absolute perfect quality.

Was pretty much my first print and was so fast / effortless that it was one of the moments where you just think "man, this thing just works".

I'm very much of the maker mindset of if I can print a new one in less time than it takes me to find something then I'll do that :)

• Like 1