Ultimaker Original - Shifting & hard to move head

N-DeeNL

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Original - Shifting & hard to move head

I got my Ultimaker Original last week, bought it off someone who already assembled it. When i picked it up it couldn't do a home command, making a lot of noise and the head could not reach the end stops.  I cleaned the smooth rods and applied Unilube (this one).

I was able to print a robot and do 2 print jobs (10hrs and 5hrs) but today i had my first print job that i had to cancel due to shifting layers in the X direction;

20170117_083053.thumb.jpg.689ca3a5659951bd305eddc7eb51714e.jpg

I also noticed the motors getting to hot to touch, maybe because the head is so tough to move? On my steel Prusa i3 i can move the head with my pinky, if i try this on my ultimaker it just moves the entire printer..

Also i got some play/movement in the smooth rods themselves, i can move them a couple of mm (doesn't happen during print, needs a little force). The x rod in the front has no play.

Fixes i was thinking of;

* Printing out the new end caps with spacers

* See how head movement is without the belts, maybe i need new rods

* Tighten the pulleys - very tight;

file-HIpXQQRZe7.jpg.8a29ef91fe1ee7a0c447fc62553f5f29.jpg

Is there something else i should try to get it running smooth?

20170117_083053.thumb.jpg.689ca3a5659951bd305eddc7eb51714e.jpg

file-HIpXQQRZe7.jpg.8a29ef91fe1ee7a0c447fc62553f5f29.jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted · Ultimaker Original - Shifting & hard to move head

You could try to see if the x/y shafts are aligned with the belts/pulleys

DSC03107_display_large_preview_featured.jpg

Ofc you 'might' need to check if the X/Y are square/calibrated after that.

Did your printer come with the calibration sticks? These are two wood parts with a hook on one end and notches on the other that are used to make sure the x and y axes are square. You can see how to use them in the UMO/UMO+ assembly manual.

Once the axes are adjusted, make sure all the pulley setscrews are really tight. Also make sure the pulleys on the x and y motor shafts are tight. You will probably need to remove the motors to access those setscrews.

The print head should be able to move smoothly, but with some resistance, diagonally. I don't think I can move mine easily with my pinky, but my index finger could do it.

Also make sure that the shaft end caps aren't binding up and preventing the shafts from rotating. I had to put washers under one of them on my UMO+ to provide some clearance.

Thanks for the suggestions, just to let you guys know i haven't abandoned the topic, ive printed the open end caps and spacers. And plan to install the twister blocks while im at it.

Will post an update when i had a moment to install it, hopefully it solved the issue by putting these parts on it and reassembling the printer :)