Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
perlguy

Hairy Print

The print that I am currently running is looking pretty "hairy".

I printed the first 1/2 of this object yesterday and did not have this problem.

What causes this extra stuff during the print, and how can I prevent it from happening on future prints?

Please see attached photo.

Thanks!

Your retraction settings must not be dialed in if they are on. Check to be sure that the temperature, speed, and retraction settings are the same with both prints. The extra stuff is bits of plastic dripping out of the nozzle as it moves.

Hi Perlguy

That is stringing. Caused by hot plastic oozing out of the nozzle as the printer jumps across a gap to start printing in another spot. You need to turn on retraction in your slicer to prevent this.

Looks like the amount of stringing left after you enabled retraction.

You can reduce it even more, but never 100% remove it. What helps is increasing the "travel speed". The default is 150, but most machines achieve 250 fine. Faster moving it less time for oozing.

You can also lower the temperature a bit, the higher the temperature the less the nozzle oozes.

But the hairs should come off pretty clean by just scraping with your hands.