Is there any way to USB Print in CURA 2.X (Even if not supported)?

jweaver

Posted (edited) · Is there any way to USB Print in CURA 2.X (Even if not supported)?

I finally decided to try CURA 2.X with my Printrbot and as I feared there doesn't seem to be a way to print via USB. The Print button at the top just gives an error saying something like "Printer Not Detected">

I know that the devs don't like USB printing and have stated many times that its unstable... But in the older versions of CURA, I havn't had a single problem what so ever and i love it...

Is there any way to do USB prints from CURA 2.x? Even if its unsupported??

My fingers are crossed, but I fear I am going to be stuck with 'old' Cura...

Jon

Edited by Guest

Posted · Is there any way to USB Print in CURA 2.X (Even if not supported)?

You could use the new Cura to create your gcode file and load it into the old Cura to print.

Cura is being developed by Ultimaker and their focus is on Ultimaker printers, but since it is open source anyone is free to contribute code and fixes. I don't own a printer that does not work with USB printing, so I would not know what it is that makes USB printing not work for your printer.

Note that I have contributed many things to the new Cura that are not specifically for Ultimaker printers or the printers that I own; I wrote the Machine Settings and support for delta printers. But fixing USB printing requires hands-on debugging with a printer where USB printing does not currently work.

You could use the new Cura to create your gcode file and load it into the old Cura to print.

Cura is being developed by Ultimaker and their focus is on Ultimaker printers, but since it is open source anyone is free to contribute code and fixes. I don't own a printer that does not work with USB printing, so I would not know what it is that makes USB printing not work for your printer.

Note that I have contributed many things to the new Cura that are not specifically for Ultimaker printers or the printers that I own; I wrote the Machine Settings and support for delta printers. But fixing USB printing requires hands-on debugging with a printer where USB printing does not currently work.

Maybe I didn't explain myself (or understand your reply).. I have no problems with USB printing.. I never have.. Its been flawless on several PCs and 1000s of prints.

And I still (happliy) use Cura 15.. But was pretty sure that Cura 2.x dropped USB print support, so I never tried.. But I am jealous of some of the new features and decided to give it a go, just in case.

But the Printer button at the top, doesn't even recognise the printer (no surprise really) and my fears that USB printing to Marlin/Reprap printers has never been implimented.

I know I could use Cura 2.x to export the GCode, but I can't be bothered.. I just love the way I can move/alter/adjust and print from Cura 15 in real time and the whole process of exporting Gcode (Which I have done many times before (And used Repetier to print)) is fine, but annoying.

So I will just carry on with Cura 15 which has served my perfectly.. But I just wonder whether there were any options (even unsupported and experimental) to impliment direct USB printing in CURA 2.x on Marlin based printers..

USB printing is supported for the UMO, but that is pretty much the full extent that USB is supported. All others might / might not work. As far as I know, most marlin based printers should work fine with Cura 2 (The UMO is marlin based after all).

USB printing is supported for the UMO, but that is pretty much the full extent that USB is supported. All others might / might not work. As far as I know, most marlin based printers should work fine with Cura 2 (The UMO is marlin based after all).

Cheers.. I accept that it might or might not work.. But I can't even get Cura to see the printer.

Even when its on, it just says "Printer Not Connected", where as in Cura 15, the icon changes from Printer to Save G-Code as I turn the printer off and on.

Any ideas how I can even make it see the printer?

I am still not clear whether we are saying that Marlin based printers should work, or not...

I went back to CURA 15 to see what difference there was and remember that under "Machine Settings" there is a Serial Port and Baudrate setting

But in CURA 2.X I can't find this option. I don't even get the feeling that Cura is "looking" for a printer, and wonder if I am overlooking an obvious setting?

> But in CURA 2.X I can't find this option.

Because it is not there.

> I don't even get the feeling that Cura is "looking" for a printer

Trust me, it is. Just not succesfully.

> wonder if I am overlooking an obvious setting?

No you are not. If it were obvious, we would have already pointed you to it.

But since you insist on trying unsupported things, you could help us by telling if this works for you:

Some users have reported success by making a change to Cura. It looks like it's probably possible to get it to connect just by going to C:\Program Files\Cura 2.3\plugins\USBPrinting\USBPrinterOutputDeviceManager.py and changing the line

result = self.getSerialPortList(only_list_usb = True)

to

result = self.getSerialPortList(only_list_usb = False)

Be careful not to change anything else.

But since you insist on trying unsupported things, you could help us by telling if this works for you:

I am not insisting on anything.. But am just a little confused as to whether I am missing something.. Nallath even implied that the printer should be seen, which is why I don't want to give up.

If it doesn't work, I am happy with that... But I don't want to stop trying, if SOME success is possible.

As I said, I have had a flawless experience with USB printing in Cura pre 2.X, so just want to try. If CURA 2.X had no USB print support at all, I wouldn't ask.. But it has and I would like to try...

Thanks for the tip about changing the config.. I will try that tonight...

I was hopeful, but it didn't work.. The section of the file now reads:

def _updateThread(self):

while self._check_updates:

result = self.getSerialPortList(only_list_usb = False)

self._addRemovePorts(result)

time.sleep(5)

But on the right, I am still told "Not connected to a Printer".

Cura 15 shows the middle icon as "Save Toolpath" until i switch the printer on, where is immediatly changes to "Print USB"

But nothing I have tried in CURA 2.X allows the printer to be shown as 'connected'.

Any other suggestions would be welcome...

I'm having the same issue with 2.5 :-(

If only Cura dared to ask me what port and what baudrate to use!!!