How do you set up your printer station?

thalassa

Posted · How do you set up your printer station?

Hi all! I just ordered our UM3 Extended and want to prepare our space for it's arrival. [i apologize if this has been asked before, but without a search feature, I couldn't find a similar thread on this in the forum.]

I'm wondering how you like to set up your printer area. How do you keep flaments organized? What tools do you keep on hand? Any tips or tricks for a functional 3D printing space?

Bonus points for sharing photos!

Thank you! Somewhat helpful to see these, but not very helpful in terms of getting advice about what tools to keep on hand, what kind of storage works well, etc. Definitely gave me a laugh to see people with sh*t everywhere! That's what I'm trying to avoid. :p

Tangent: It would be super helpful if I could search the forum for threads. I have no idea where to look for topics like this, and there's no reasonable what to click through pages and pages of threads.

I'm working with a blank slate at the moment. Definitely need more storage!

5a33270156c5b_Miller_3DprinterArea-1.thumb.jpg.2d025f5ad00ab70d57f3c663b3a54d0d.jpg

5a33270156c5b_Miller_3DprinterArea-1.thumb.jpg.2d025f5ad00ab70d57f3c663b3a54d0d.jpg

I'm not sure I would want to block a window with an expensive 3D printer (i.e. theft)

I made use of a Craftsman work bench, re-surfaced it and keep all my supplies in the shelves below.

12742675_742120995924750_5608566886595385973_n.thumb.jpg.63ffa34588f7ce04c8c20991c302ada5.jpg

One thing I would advise is a Battery Back Up/ UPS for your printer. If the power blinks/goes out, your print will continue (assuming the duration is short!)

12742675_742120995924750_5608566886595385973_n.thumb.jpg.63ffa34588f7ce04c8c20991c302ada5.jpg

Posted (edited) · How do you set up your printer station?

Definitely gave me a laugh to see people with sh*t everywhere!

For the record, all my sh*t was deeply offended by your comment :p

Nah, seriously now. You'll find that there's a great many little things that are horribly useful next to the printer. Some are just downright necessary. Things to keep within reach of my Ultimakers would be stuff like:

- About one metric ton of filament (you've no idea how those spools multiply)

- Allen key

- Nozzle wrench

- Glass scraper

- Bed adhesives (glue/hairspray/whatever)

- Spare build plates

- Scalpels (for finishing, cutting supports/brims)

- Abrasives (I like micro-mesh cushioned for finishing touches)

- Blue masking tape

- Small lengths of white PLA for cold pulling

- Glue (for joining multi-part prints)

- Wire cutters (for the filament)

And that's just for starters, off the top of my head. It's quite annoying to constantly be running around the house gathering the stuff you need.

Also, concerning filament storage: If you aren't going through spools very quickly, you'll need to get some sort of airtight (or at least close to it) storage box for it. Anything else is just waste of money and filament. It's also a good idea to invest in some desiccant that can be reactivated in the oven.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

I'm not sure I would want to block a window with an expensive 3D printer (i.e. theft)  

I made use of a Craftsman work bench, re-surfaced it and keep all my supplies in the shelves below.

Hi @LePaul - Good point. We are not a public facility, but that doesn't mean we don't get folks wandering in. I moved the table between the windows so it's not such an advertisement. I wish there was a spot for a security cable on the unit (like computers have).

The UPS advice is GOLDEN. We lose power here during windstorms, and even though the station has a generator, that blip would be disastrous. I'll do that today.

I'm wondering how if the table I have will be solid enough. I'm printing a UM robot right now, and the small bit of vibration on the table top is making me nervous. I think I'm seeing failed print #2 developing. UGH.

Definitely gave me a laugh to see people with sh*t everywhere!

For the record, all my sh*t was deeply offended by your comment :p

@SyntaxTerror Ha ha! Glad you took it okay... ;-)

Thanks very much for the recommendations. I definitely missed a few of those in my shopping spree to get supplies. I did manage to buy 2-gallon Ziploc bags and desiccant for storing filament, and I'll leave the new ones unopened until I need them. The UM filaments that came with the unit were double shrink-wrapped, which was nice. I'll have to check the ColorFabb ones.

How do you like to store your filaments - in a drawer or bin, out on the shelf ...?

I'm wondering how if the table I have will be solid enough. I'm printing a UM robot right now, and the small bit of vibration on the table top is making me nervous. I think I'm seeing failed print #2 developing. UGH.

One inexpensive solution that worked for my Ultimaker 2+ ...

Go to the local Home Depot and find some of this drawer liner mat

I cut a small rectangle, folded it in half and put under each corner. Big improvement!

Thanks very much for the recommendations. I definitely missed a few of those in my shopping spree to get supplies. I did manage to buy 2-gallon Ziploc bags and desiccant for storing filament, and I'll leave the new ones unopened until I need them. The UM filaments that came with the unit were double shrink-wrapped, which was nice. I'll have to check the ColorFabb ones.

How do you like to store your filaments - in a drawer or bin, out on the shelf ...?

Unless I have another print coming up in the extremely near future, I zip loc mine with a dessicant capsule too, then toss it in one of these things:

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/b77_0litre.php

Fits 20 standard 200x55mm spools side by side. Okay, they're not made to be air tight but it seems to be working well anyway - I stuck some dessicant capsules in there as well and monitor humidity with a hygrometer for a terrarium I snatched up on amazon for next to nothing.

One inexpensive solution that worked for my Ultimaker 2+ ...

Go to the local Home Depot and find some of this drawer liner mat

I cut a small rectangle, folded it in half and put under each corner.  Big improvement!

Perfect! I even have some of this at home that I can bring in to work tomorrow. That's why I LOVE these forums! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Super helpful! <3

• Like 1

Unless I have another print coming up in the extremely near future, I zip loc mine with a dessicant capsule too, then toss it in one of these things:

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/b77_0litre.php

Fits 20 standard 200x55mm spools side by side. Okay, they're not made to be air tight but it seems to be working well anyway - I stuck some dessicant capsules in there as well and monitor humidity with a hygrometer for a terrarium I snatched up on amazon for next to nothing.

That bin looks perfect, but of course it doesn't look like they offer that size on the US website. I'll keep looking! Hard to imagine needing to store more than 20 spools, but I'll order two if I can find them.

And, a hygrometer! Now you're speaking my language ("librarian"). We use them to track temperature and humidity in our library spaces - I absolutely love the idea of extending our measurements to my filament bins! :p

If you buy cyano-acrylate glue for glueing parts together, try to find one with an activator. That is a separate tube with felt tip (like a marker pen) with which you need to wipe the plastic, then let the "ink" dry for a minute, and then glue as usual. This activator improves bonding of plastics. In Belgium you find them in the local supermarkets like Delhaize (among the school things), or in Brico-shops.

• Like 1