USB Port Not Working

RocketNut

Posted (edited) · USB Port Not Working

Howdy every one.

I am tiring to print using the USB port. I can get it to see the USB (by selecting Comm 3 not the auto dect) with version 1.5. I can run the leveling function it work's properly, but won't print. Also version 1.5 is not slicing my model. I heard some where version 1.5 has STL file size limit. The model I am trying to slice is 200Meg bytes. It loads in just fine, but will not slice!!!

I tried version 2.3, it does not see the printer on the USB port. My computer chimes when I connect the USB cable, so my computer see the printer but Cura does not see it!!!

Any clues on how to fix this problem?

Rocket Nut

Edited by Guest

Posted · USB Port Not Working

USB printing on the UM2 is not officially supported.

If you do want to do this, you have to use the UMO machine settings instead of the UM2. But no guarantees.

If you do want to do this, you have to use the UMO machine settings instead of the UM2. But no guarantees.

A better option is available: Use the UM2 (or UM2+) profile, but set the gcode flavor to "Reprap (Marlin/Sprinter)" in Machine Settings. This lets you edit start/end gcode, as well as set the material you want to use from Cura (overriding the settings on the printer, because these are ignored when printing over USB).

My printer is a Creality 3D CR-10. Is there a firmware that I can install to enable the USB printing?

There is one hack you can try:

In your Cura folder, find the file plugins/USBPrinting/USBPrinterOutputDeviceManager.py

It should look like this: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/blob/2.4/plugins/USBPrinting/USBPrinterOutputDeviceManager.py#L89

Change line 85 to this (ie: change True to False, change nothing else)

result = self.getSerialPortList(only_list_usb = False)

Be careful not to change the indentation!

Now restart Cura and it might detect your printer. Let us know if it does.

If Cura still doesn't detect your printer, then unfortunately you will have to use another tool to send the gcode to your printer.

Edited by Guest

Thanks all for info.

Is there a stand alone program that will send the G-Code to the printer over the USB channel?

Edited by Guest

You can try PrintRun (http://www.pronterface.com/). Or you could even use legacy cura to load the gcode produced with Cura 2.x and send it to your printer.

Note that it is likely that a future version of Cura 2.x will have better support for USB printing again, even if Ultimaker is not working on it. Cura is open source, and other developers are working on it as well, eg the people behind the Lulzbot TAZ printers.

Thanks all for info.

Is there a stand alone program that will send the G-Code to the printer over the USB channel?

Yup Repetier Host. I have used it for 3 years now.

In Cura go to your printer definition and set the gcode flavour to Reprap - probably the Marlin/Sprinter version. Then save your stl to disk and then load it into Repetier then start the printer within Repetier and away you go. You will need to do some configuration but pretty simple. I guess you may find config sample for your printer on the Repetier website.

You need to

Thanks