Edges/Corners curl up

boriss

Posted · Edges/Corners curl up

Hi Guys.

printing a simple box and the edges keep on curling up no matter which setting slow fast thickness walls etc. etc.

image.thumb.jpg.9d8d84d0e961ed53ae326cc232affd59.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.f064f2d025dcf6ffdd1f1ddd83c0f11d.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.36522b669a7493e59ce1b9eacbbcfe1e.jpg

In general can it be done better ? I have all the stuff around for installing a heated bed, would that be a solution ?

Of is there some other setting that could help ?

Thanks

Boris

Hi Boris

There are various threads here discussing warping to give you more clues but generally the HBP will help and /or printing first layer very close to the platform and adding 20mm pads .2mm high or similar to corners of your model.

This is an extremely common problem. If you are using PLA you shouldn't need a heated bed to keep it sticking but a heated bed is one (expensive compared to others) solution.

My favorite solution is to use blue painters tape on the bed and to wipe the tape with isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol - found at any drug store). In fact you may have a new problem - removing parts from the bed :)

Also you could round the corners of your box. Or add a single layer of material beyond the edge of your box with a large round radius on each corner. Or you can use the Cura option to print a "raft".

If you have pointy cornered box, all the lifting force is strongest at one tiny point at the corner of the box - once that lifts, it keeps going. However if you have rounded corners the force is distributed across the curve of the corner.

But again, you shouldn't have to do any of this if you use blue painters tape (came with ultimaker - available wherever you buy house paint) and clean it with isopropyl alcohol. I think the alcohol removes the glue residue from the layer above when the tape was still in the role.

Other ideas:

Turn off fan for layer 1

print layer 1 extra thick (.3 mm)

print layer 1 extra slow 20mm/sec

heat the blue tape with a hair dryer just before printing so it is closer to 37C (body temperature) - of course 70C would be ideal.

set nozzle temp higher by 20C for first layer then lower using ulticontroller or Cura gui

All of these help.

gr5 thanks for the hints and apologies for asking a question that ( i could have thought of it) has been discussed several times.

I will try your idaes and since i have all the parts around for the heated bead i will just take some time this weekend and get it setup !

Boris