Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
JohnK

Cura 2.4 single extrusion prints on UM3 (with print core 2)

Just want to mention that in Cura 2.4 when trying to print with print core 2 ONLY, the printer will still heat up print core 1 as the first layer is ending, it will then prime the nozzle of print core 1, then switch back to print core 2 and continue printing. It also keeps print core 1 at the standby temperature throughout the whole print.

This problem doesn't occur when printing with print core 1 only.

This also doesn't happen with Cura 2.3 at all.

I am facing exactly the same problem, it was quite annoying today as I have ABS in core 1 and PLA in core 2. When printing with core 2 only it will do the first layer fine, but then primes core 1 and that will go wrong as it uses a temperature well below the priming temperature for ABS and hence it does not stick at all and drags it around. Lucky I was there today to rescue the print today.

Can this be recognised by Ultimaker and resolved in Cura?

We fixed this recently. The fix is going to be included in Cura 2.5.

For details, see https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine/commit/b69a2b4891f449cb09fcebf2b765a6925d1fa226 . The problem was that it decides to prime with the other nozzle because the support or support interface is set to use that nozzle, even though support or support interface was disabled.

To work around the problem in 2.4, you could enable support and support interface, make sure that the support and support interface extruders are also set to use your preferred extruder, then disable support or support interface again.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

For details, see https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine/commit/b69a2b4891f449cb09fcebf2b765a6925d1fa226 . The problem was that it decides to prime with the other nozzle because the support or support interface is set to use that nozzle, even though support or support interface was disabled.

To work around the problem in 2.4, you could enable support and support interface, make sure that the support and support interface extruders are also set to use your preferred extruder, then disable support or support interface again.

Ah, that makes sense, glad to hear it's been sorted out.

Thanks for the workaround, much appreciated

I've had similar problems and I posted this in the German section of this forum. Sorry about this, but I guess that even if you do not speak German it will be understandable. Give a short look at the posted picture from my prints.

I've also noticed that the printcore 1 filament retracts aprox. 3 minutes after starting a printing job nearly 30 cm backwards to the spool.

Bug (?) in Cura 2.4.0 printig with PLA and PVA

Edited by Guest

Two times with the same gcode file, or two times with different gcodes?

Do you still have the gcode of which you are sure it happened with?

Two times with different gcodes. Problems with Cura 2.4.0

You will find some more informations there. I' m sorry it is in the German section of this forum, but I guess that the information is understandable even you do not speak the German language.

I' m sorry but I thrown the g-code away, and I removed Cura 2.4.0 from my notebook

Edited by Guest

Just upgraded to 2.4 yesterday, and noticed this issue right away. Thanks for the workaround.