New UM3 doesn't power on

Posted · New UM3 doesn't power on

I have a 1 day old UM3. First day I was able to power it on, attach it to wifi, calibrate it, and make my first print overnight.

In the morning I came in, took off my print, and realized the UM3 wasn't on the wifi anymore. So I turned it off, and turned it back on again using the power switch. Fans spun for a couple of seconds, and then turned off. I waited a minute or two, but no activity anywhere -- dark screen. Screen never came on.

Powered off and on again with the switch. Same thing -- fans gave a quick spin, shut down, and no more signs of life. I waited tens of minutes this time, so this isn't a matter of patience.

I was hoping for a weekend of fun with my new toy, but now it's basically a rock. Someone else seemed to have a similar problem and removed the wifi card -- is that really the next step for me?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

first the obvious, is you power plug pluged in deep enough? there's a locking mechanism in it....

Else with this issue on a new machine I think you should get in touch with the re-seller.... maybe it's a bad power supply? Do you (or someone close to you) have an UM2? in that case you can test with that powersupply, it's the same....

I contacted fbrc8 for support on this, and even though they are closed on the weekend, Erin (Co-Founder of fbrc8) helped me diagnose this. She was fairly sure this was the wifi card, and she was right!

Erin sent me very detailed instructions on how to remove it, and after I did, the UM3 started right up!

They are processing a return for my wifi card, but I'm happily printing using the wired LAN connection.

So I've learned a couple of things:

1. If your UM3 spins the fans up for a couple of seconds and then the printer acts dead, you probably have a defective wifi card that is drawing too much power. And

2. fbrc8 (and Erin in particular) is awesome!

• Like 3

I contacted fbrc8 for support on this, and even though they are closed on the weekend, Erin (Co-Founder of fbrc8) helped me diagnose this. She was fairly sure this was the wifi card, and she was right!

Erin sent me very detailed instructions on how to remove it, and after I did, the UM3 started right up!

They are processing a return for my wifi card, but I'm happily printing using the wired LAN connection.

So I've learned a couple of things:  

1. If your UM3 spins the fans up for a couple of seconds and then the printer acts dead, you probably have a defective wifi card that is drawing too much power. And

2. fbrc8 (and Erin in particular) is awesome!

Thanks, jhirschman. We'll get that wifi board out today. One thing to keep in mind when you get the new one installed--you'll still see the fans power on for half a second, and the printer will appear dead (for about 20 seconds), and then everything will start up as normal. The full power on process takes approximately 1 minute. I'm very glad we were able to get you back to printing this weekend though. :-)

• Like 1