How to replace the top of the print head assembly?

JimT

Posted · How to replace the top of the print head assembly?

I broke the plastic top piece of the print head assembly on my Ultimaker 2 Go. I have a new top, but can't find instructions on how to replace it. I detached the bowden tube and unscrewed the 4 screws that hold the assembly together. My problem is how to detach the wires so that I can feed them through the opening in the new top piece. It looks like there is some sort of connector inside the the black mesh tube enclosing the wires, but I can't see how it works. Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you!

Posted (edited) · How to replace the top of the print head assembly?

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2

Here's an UM2 assembly manual, it's a bit old but shows you how the thing is build.

I this case I would not disconnect the wires/electronics, but just take apart the head, including the metal parts, take of the heaterblock/olsonblock, then you should be able to move the block through the black plastic parts.

You may need to heat it up a bit to unscrew the hot end isolater, the metal part with the holes all around. You can screw/unscrew this thing also by sticking a small hex screwdriver in one of the holes.

You'll find the hot end around page 48.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · How to replace the top of the print head assembly?

Or you can cut with care a escape area on both so you can remove the top and insert a new one without disassembling anything.

IMG_5248.thumb.JPG.2aef11247800a756662b2753f797f1a8.JPG

IMG_5248.thumb.JPG.2aef11247800a756662b2753f797f1a8.JPG

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Posted · How to replace the top of the print head assembly?

I hated to cut the new piece, but it seemed easier than dealing with all the wires, so I did it, and it worked. Thank you!

• Like 1