Colorfabb – filament producer from the Netherlands!

colorfabb

Posted · Colorfabb – filament producer from the Netherlands!

Hi folks!

My name is Gijs, (also active under the username:Gijs) since december 2012 I’ve been working for Helian Polymers testing fresh batches of PLA filament, best job ever :-P

We’ve developed a PLA/PHA compound to counteract the brittle characteristic of PLA and make it more tough. We’ve been testing our material extensively for the past 4 months in our ‘printlab’. We use 3 Ultimakers which basicly print nonstop with our material. We like to try all kinds of tricky prints but also develop our own models whenever we have a bit of time.

Here are some pictures of our print results:

chocolate brown

Boston Row House

Pet monster Gulpy

Voronoi Vase

Check out our gallery for even more awesome prints!

chocolate brownBoston Row Housecolorfabb - printlabcolorfabb - printlabcolorfabb - printlabVoronoi VaseVoronoi VaseVoronoi VaseVoronoi VasePet monster GulpyVoronoi Vasecolorfabb printlabRegular braceletwho0oo0oO!?low res hi quality vaseGorillaGorillaGorillaGorillaGorillaGorillaGorillaGorillakleinbottle Warm red & Chocolate BrownSkyrim: Dawnguard Vampire LordSkyrim: Dawnguard Vampire LordSkyrim: Dawnguard Vampire LordSkyrim: Dawnguard Vampire LordSkyrim: Dawnguard Vampire LordSkyrim: Dawnguard Vampire LordSkyrim: Dawnguard Vampire LordSkyrim: Dawnguard Vampire LordDouble Twisted Vasekleinbottle familyLancia StratosLancia Stratoszombie hunter headzombie hunter headzombie hunter headRoyal CrownRoyal CrownRoyal CrownRandom VaseMr. BeanMr. BeanMr. BeanColorFabb Mascotbuddhahellboycolorfabb_xtcolorfabb_xtcolorfabb_xtThe colonelHomersBeer bottle2-color standing catCeltic SkullPinguin who canThunder Birds 2Kinect scanned CatKlein Bottle by DizingofZombie Hunter HeadMeshed Up Flower PotWeekly Cup Nr. 1Tree FrogCellular LampRegular BraceletDiabloDawnguard Vampire LordAztec ChiefAztec ChiefGarden PigDiabloDiabloHomerKiss meRandom VaseRandom VaseRandom VaseThor is here!Elephant by LeFabShopElephant by LeFabShop

This is our printlab with lots of filament and even more printed objects.

colorfabb printlab

colorfabb - printlab

colorfabb - printlab

colorfabb - printlab

Helian Polymers is a trading company specialized in masterbatches and additives for plastics. This means we have access to an endless pallet of colors and can experiment with lots of different materials and additives. At the moment our main focus is to get our line of PLA/PHA filament into the market in various colors. However we keep experimenting and developing new materials such as, biopolycarbonate filament and soluable filaments.

If you’re interested in our PLA/PHA filament, you’re welcome to visit our webshop at www.colorfabb.com and order yourself a fabulous 0,75kg spool of filament!

Cheers,

Gijs

(Your last URL contains a typo)

This might look like an advertisement, and it is. But I do like what I've seen from them so far. We have the transparent rolls from them, which where from an early test run. But those already look awesome color wise. The prints they had on RapidPro looked awesome (they where standing across the isle of us)

As far as I understood, the diameter of the colorfabb PLA is currently only matched by faberdashery. And I think they are the only one who sell a gold that actually looks like a gold instead of a brass (disclaimer, I do not know how the faberdashery gold looks)

(This is my personal opinion which is unrelated to Ultimaker in any way)

Gijs, this looks really good.

What is the glass transition temperature, is it higher than normal PLA (58 to 65 degrees Celsius)?

I.e. can it withstand heat more than normal PLA?

Also, what about post-processing of it compared to PLA? Is it as sensitive/picky? I think THF is one of the few solvents that can polish PLA.

Can you produce a "rainbow pack" like Faberdashery? I would order it immediately for testing....

Cheers,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

The glass transition temperature is similar to normal PLA, so it can't withstand heat more than normal PLA. We have not yet tried any post-processing on the PLA/PHA material. But I expect that it will be similar to PLA as well.

The 'rainbow pack' is a good idea for new users to test the filament. I'll let you know soon whether we will produce such a filament pack.

Gijs

What is the glass transition temperature, is it higher than normal PLA (58 to 65 degrees Celsius)?

I.e. can it withstand heat more than normal PLA?

Also, what about post-processing of it compared to PLA? Is it as sensitive/picky? I think THF is one of the few solvents that can polish PLA.

Can you produce a "rainbow pack" like Faberdashery? I would order it immediately for testing....

Interesting, and yes this is advertising but its also relevant for our community so besides the hyper-link in the signature (which is against community guidelines),I see no reason to ban it, as long as it enriches our community experience and we are talking to real people and not some anonymous entity.

Hi Alexander,

The hyperlink is removed, sorry about that didn't pay attention to the rules when posting it last night.

You are for sure talking to real people. I've started using an Ultimaker back in oktober 2011, did the workshop at Protospace Utrecht. I used the machine intensively for my graduation project at the faculty of Industrial Design at the Eindhoven University of Technology. I’ve been reading the forum and google groups daily ever since but haven’t been posting a lot.

I will be posting lots of our prints in our gallery and will notify the community if new exiting filament is available.

Happy printing!

Gijs

I was at the Ulti-evening in Utrecht last night and I must say these filaments look very interesting! The prints by Gijs were impressive and I'm looking forward to give it a try. A rainbow pack is also on my want-list.

Hi Gijs,

I must say your filament looks amazing! I'm preparing to order a few spools, and I was literally blown away by the super cheap shipping rates you have on site. I hope that's not an error :D but the shipping was calculated to 10 Euro for 4 spools to Croatia. Tell me that is correct and you've just won yourself a steady customer. :)

Hi Chopmeister,

Thank you! The shipping rates are not correct yet, but for the time being we will ship your order for 10,- euro. Looking forward to seeing your order.

cheers,

Gijs

Do you also sell larger spools of PLA ?

I have to do a lot of large prints, and would hate to run out after a 100 hour print :)

Do you also sell larger spools of PLA ?

I have to do a lot of large prints, and would hate to run out after a 100 hour print :)

100 hour print! What are you planning on making? Massive print at really high resolution? We have 2,2 kg spools, would this be sufficient? If you can contact us at http://colorfabb.com/contacts/ and mention the colors you would like we can make an custom offer.

Gijs

100 hour print! What are you planning on making? Massive print at really high resolution? We have 2,2 kg spools, would this be sufficient? If you can contact us at http://colorfabb.com/contacts/ and mention the colors you would like we can make an custom offer.

Gijs

I can print up to 40cm high, I rebuild my Ultimaker into an Ultimaker+

I'll contact you :)