Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
nitrojuice

Filament Grind (getting super frustrating)

Hey folks

Recently my UM2 has started to grind filament and there is no stopping it :(

It grinds at random times, normally a couple of hours into the print.

Things I've tried so far:

-new nozzle, Ptfe and the metal thing that holds the nozzle (no i2k isolator as I didn't have one. The Ptfe is the original UM2 one, had one sitting spare.)

-Roberts feeder v2 following this tutorial: http://www.ideato3d.be/tutoriels/how-do-i-change-the-feeder-of-the-ultimaker-2/

-the yolk is a 38mm, and the bearing touches the feeder when there is no material inserted. Is this normal? I left the spring exactly at 13mm as per the tutorial.

-took the cover off the inside of the machine and pointed a 15cm desk fan at the feeder motor. It never exceeds 35°C, but Iam trying to eliminate everything.

-the boden at the feeder end had grinding on the walls, so what I did was cut it back about 4mm and smooth out the walls into a "cone" the the ver end with a hobby knife to eliminate unwanted friction.

Things to note:

-after Roberts feeder was put in, the grinding has lessened. It really has, but it still does it. Is the yolk too tight?

-I've changed 3x nozzles, to make sure that's not it.

-All fans run.

-printing PLA only at 185°C. (The filament is a tad old, set on the roll for about two months while I was out. Can that be an issue?)

Please help, Iam pulling all my hair out trying to get this going

You've already changed out the nozzle and PTFE coupler. The PTFE coupler is usually the culprit of all of my problems.

Did you clean off the hubbed gear that grips the filament. If it gets caked with filament dust, then it can't grip the filament as well.

I print PLA at 210c.

I have my filament spool below my machine and I use a spool holder with ball bearings.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/magnetic-mount-spool-holder

I still use the original UM2 feeder and I have it set to the lightest pressure.

Good luck.