Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
bexwaring

Is it possible to disable WiFi

Is it possible to disable to wifi capability of the Ultimaker 3 extended without getting a load of errors/breaking the machine? The building I work in can't have any wifi capability so I'd need to either remove the wifi capability physically or at least de-solder the connections.

While I'm at it I'll also be removing the camera if anyone has any experience with that!

Thanks for any help people can provide!

You can unplug the wifi, disconnect the usb camera. I suppose you want to have a more secure printer. I suppose you could remove some stuff, but the A20 board has ethernet cable integrated.

Maybe it could be easier if you access your printer by ssh and lock the drivers from loading, but I don't know how to do that, maybe @daid knows?

If you disable (or never enable) WiFi from the menus, then the wifi module is disabled (transmitters and receivers are disabled, indicated by the LEDs being off on the module)

If that isn't secure enough for your environment. It is possible to remove the WiFi module and still have a functioning printer. I know this has been done for a few customers on request.

The WiFi module is located under the square white cover, and has a clear "FCC" logo on it. No soldering required to remove it! You can just unplug it.

Note that this does not remove the menu options, but otherwise the software has no problems with running without essential hardware. In the same bit, the camera and NFC can also be removed without causing the system to fail.

We wouldn't want your printer to be out of commission just because a non-essential part is broken.

When disconnecting the wifi board you are accessing sensitive electronics. Take ESD measures: Use an ESD wrist strap, or at least touch the sides of the dibond frame panels before and preferably during this procedure.

This will prevent ESD (electrostatic discharges) damaging your control board.