Unexpected Stop

mrjohnk

Posted · Unexpected Stop

My print job stopped at the end of the second piece out of six. Where the z-stage should have gone down and nozzle retract back to 0,0, instead, the nozzle parked itself on top of the part after the final layer was done and melted a spot in the top. It printed the first part perfectly.

I used the Cura project planner to setup this print job. Any idea why the printer suddenly stopped and just parked right on top of the recently finished part instead of going on to the next one?

I'm not sure if it is a Cura, Marlin or profile problem. I updated Marlin to the latest version yesterday. Cura is 13.03. I'm using a profile that worked properly yesterday for printing a single item.

I wanted to upload the gcode file here for reference, however, I'm unsure how to upload and share that on the forum. Where shoud I look to troubleshoot something like this?

Thanks.

John

Posted · Unexpected Stop

I found the usb cable to be unreliable and only print using ulticontroller and SD card option now. However if you don't want to buy a UC then try to limit noise maybe? No AC fan's or microwaves ovens or hair dryers in the house while printing?

It often crashes right at the start or end of the print job (have to reconnect with cura when it crashes). Maybe something is causing a voltage spike then (turning on or off the heater causes noise spike?) so it makes sense to me this would happen part way through the print job but right at the end of a part (or start of the next).

Posted · Unexpected Stop

I am printing in stand-alone mode from the ulticontroller as this one sits in my basement with no computer in sight. Power is fed from a dedicate 24V - 400W supply. Both the nozzle heater and heated bed are using PID control. I noticed the LED on the headed bed continued to flash even after the stoppage. I'm inclined to say that at least the Arduino and main circuit board were still functional enough to provide the PID signal to the heated bed. It is suspect that this happened right as the transition from the second to third part. So, I'm thinking something in the gcode (Cura) or the ulticontroller had an issue.

In this room, there are not any other running electrical devices as I unplug everything when it isn't in use and the light was coming through the windows.

John