Ultimaker3 on a sailboat, worst idea ever?

comjf

Posted · Ultimaker3 on a sailboat, worst idea ever?

Howdy!

I live on a sailboat with a free closet I could convert into a 3D print lab, and my research brings me to the Ultimaker 3! I'm completely new to the hobby, but I think it would be amazing to be able to print my own parts. My obvious question is, is this even a viable idea? Will the movement of being on the water cause the printer problems? I don't expect to be able to use it while underway, but even at dock in a calm harbor there certainly is more movement than a normal environment. Are there any additional concerns I should think of in such an environment? What about gas ventilation, what do these bad boys release?

Looking forward to joining the community (assuming it's not a horrible idea haha)

~comjf

Movement won't be a serious issue I don't think as you can see in this (real) video made by Joris who I know personally and swears it's real:

http://gizmodo.com/watch-what-happens-when-you-a-ship-a-3d-printer-while-i-1766124535

However salty air is just HORRIBLE on so many things. The brass parts will be okay but any iron or steel and probably much of the electronics will rust away to nothing. I would definitely save my money and get a used UMO or UM2 but if you are rich go for the UM3. Also you might need an air tight dry locker for the filament. I think pla will probably be okay in the humidity but not nylon and not pva. UM says keep pva at 50% or dryer but even 50% is probably too much for pva. And without pva the UM3 is not so useful.

The movement isn't a huge problem. I've printed on the back of my bicycle with my Ultimaker Original. Slight quality loss when I hit a bumpy road.

If you are on the sea (you could be on a lake I assume?) then the salty air however will most likely destroy it. My previous job was in road-side equipment, and anything near the sea was doomed if it wasn't sealed properly. Missing a simple O ring would spell doom for the electronics.

You can get spray on circuit board coatings to protect it against the salty air.

If you regularly coat the rods in sewing machine oil then they should be fine (which you have to do anyway)

But there is always a risk of some corrosion somewhere.

Could you put a seal on the door of your closet?