Weird marks on outside of part

Semus

Posted · Weird marks on outside of part

Hey guys, this might be a setting I can check in Cura, but I'm not sure which setting it is.

Take a look at the photo. As you can see, I'm getting these weird marks. It looks like it might be where the layers end and then a new one begins? Other than this, the print quality is superb! I am really loving this extrusion upgrade kit!! Any idea what I can do to get rid of these marks?

20170331_082913.thumb.jpg.68f90fd3f7b573ddabaeb6dfc0789bd7.jpg

20170331_082913.thumb.jpg.68f90fd3f7b573ddabaeb6dfc0789bd7.jpg

Posted (edited) · Weird marks on outside of part

Yes, you are right !

Those are called Z-seam.

I'm not sure you can eliminate this artefact, but now you have the technical term to investigate :)

Edited by Guest

my first thought would be to try lowering the print head temperature a little, then maybe increase the cooling fans a bit. but that is without any knowledge of your current settings so that may be not relevant ?

good luck

my first thought would be to try lowering the print head temperature a little, then maybe increase the cooling fans a bit. but that is without any knowledge of your current settings so that may be not relevant ?

good luck

Currently printing at 220/60 @ 30mm/s. I might try lowering that to around 200 and test again. Fans are set to 100%, as I never mess with those settings. I also forgot to mention that this was PLA.

Posted (edited) · Weird marks on outside of part

Before tuning the settings on your own, try the default printing profiles in Cura. A lot of effort has gone into these, and for most models these are hard to beat.

And use the newest Cura of course.

Edited by Guest

Before tuning the settings on your own, try the default printing profiles in Cura. A lot of effort has gone into these, and for most models these are hard to beat.

And use the newest Cura of course.

Thanks, tomnagel. I use the newest version of Cura, and I've tried the "default" settings for Cura on a few of my first prints, which were quite good. I've only recently been dabbling in the more advanced settings.

It's good to know that the default settings have been tuned quite well, and I will keep this in mind. However, sometimes you just want to be able to adjust things on a per-print basis due to model constraints ;-)