How to remove broken filament

choco

Posted · How to remove broken filament

Hi,

My PLA filament broke mid-print while I wasn't watching the machine. I opened up the feeder and tried to pull out the filament in the Bowden tube but only succeeded in breaking the PLA again ... this time right at the bottom of the "quick fit coupling" that's embedded in the feeder. Now I can't access it with long-nosed pliers and have no idea how to get it out without undoing the entire feeder (which I REALLY don't want to do!)

Can anyone advise on how to extract the broken filament? Perhaps by removing the bowden tube from the top of the "quick fit coupling"? ... but how do you do this safely?

Thanks in advance,

Choco.

Posted · How to remove broken filament

Push down on the topmost part of the coupling and then pull the tube out. Remember to heat up the hotend before pulling out the filament ;)

Or if you want to be lazy simply feed some new PLA in there and keep printing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies