Can I safely upgrade my UM2 to UM2+, and use Cura 2.5, but with firmware Vers:_15.04.5?

purps

Posted (edited) · Can I safely upgrade my UM2 to UM2+, and use Cura 2.5, but with firmware Vers:_15.04.5?

As the title says really! I would appreciate any and all help.

Discussion of my firmware upgrade problems is here https://ultimaker.com/en/community/44827-cant-update-firmware-on-um2-i-think-ive-checked-all-the-obvious-stuff

Obviously that problem needs solving, but in the short term I need to crack on as I have orders to fulfill.

Cheers,

Matt.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Can I safely upgrade my UM2 to UM2+, and use Cura 2.5, but with firmware Vers:_15.04.5?

The feeder needs a different e-step setting.

So you can either stay with the old feeder until your firmware issue is solved, or add a

M92  E369.00

in your GCode to adjust the e-steps manually

Posted · Can I safely upgrade my UM2 to UM2+, and use Cura 2.5, but with firmware Vers:_15.04.5?

No the e-steps is a firmware thing...

(it can be overridden with GCode, but it is not a common practice)

Attention, the direction of rotation of the feeder must be changed!

Normally this is done over the firmware update.

• Like 1

Good point.

And you cannot change that with G-Code...

You could swap the cables of the stepper, but waiting on a solution for the firmware is probably easier...

Thanks guys, believe it or not I was actually aware of the stepper motor direction issue - however that's what I thought the G-Code mod was for! Clearly not.

OK, so can I safely install the new hot end, but wait until later for the feeder? Everything else, the heaters, the new thermocouple, everything at the hot end of the UM2+ upgrade kit will be OK with firmware Vers:_15.04.5?

Thanks again,

Matt.

Temperature sensor is a PT100 on both version, not a thermocouple.

But yes, you can safely upgrade the hot end and keep the same firmware.

Beg your pardon, temperature sensor.

Thank you both for the advice - as you'll see in the aforementioned thread, the firmware issue is sorted.

Cheers,

Matt.