Change rolls mid-print?

GQualls

Posted · Change rolls mid-print?

I have a long print going on my Ultimaker 3 and I realize now that I am going to be about 100g short of having enough filament on the current roll. I am using the Ultimaker Silver PLA with the NFC tag in it and I have another roll of the same filament ready to load, but when I pause the print using the control panel on the front of the machine, there is no option I can find in the menus that would let me change the roll of filament.

I've also searched on the web to see if the UM3 has a filament detection feature, so that it would pause if it runs out, but I can't find anything on that topic that is specific to the Ultimaker 3. Does anyone know what I should do? It will be a shame to ruin a 49 hour print, right at the end.

There is a white lever on the feeder. If you squeeze that hard you can just slide filament in and out. So slide out the old and slide in the new. Slide in the new hard enough to make sure you see some filament coming out of the nozzle faster than before you slid it in. I recommend cutting the tip to a point of the new filament first.

I'm sorry your message got burried for a day in among thousands of spams. You are now an approved poster and next time it will show up immediately.

If you've got the latest firmware on your UM3 there is an option when you pause it to change the material. It's not going to automatically detect for you when the material runs out, you'd have to judge it and change it before you ran out, but it's now in the menu as of 3.6.

• Like 1