Strange wall geometry following slice in Cura 2.5

purps

Posted (edited) · Strange wall geometry following slice in Cura 2.5

Hi all,

I printed this same part out in Cura 2.4, and I'm fairly sure it didn't do this.

The layers in question should just be plain simple circles, but the walls are doing this strange thing circled in blue.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Matt.

Capture_thumb1.thumb.PNG.b409af2d300d29c006e9b3d75393661a.PNG

Capture_thumb2.thumb.PNG.b39783d3c27ab66b85c2cc59818e9f3e.PNG

Capture_thumb1.thumb.PNG.b409af2d300d29c006e9b3d75393661a.PNG

Capture_thumb2.thumb.PNG.b39783d3c27ab66b85c2cc59818e9f3e.PNG

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Strange wall geometry following slice in Cura 2.5

The plot thickens...

This is the Cura 2.4 gcode for the exact same part, viewed in the gcode viewer (in Cura 2.5). As you can see, the artefacts are there, but not as severe.

I also have the printed parts from this Cura 2.4 gcode, and they are flawless.

Guess I'll try printing with the Cura 2.5 gcode and see what happens. Maybe just a graphical thing?

Capture_thumb4.thumb.PNG.ce0d8da4b053be7497ab682438665170.PNG

Edited by Guest

Posted · Strange wall geometry following slice in Cura 2.5

Hi, sorry I can't offer any help re the wacky outline that is your main problem but I just thought I would comment that 2.5 has a new feature which can be used to extend the surface skins further into infill which can produce a stronger part and also reduces the chances of holes remaining in the skin where it meets a feature that stands proud of the skin. So in your above image, if the extend skins into infill option is enabled, the large hole in the top skin would be smaller. Another advantage of doing this is that it may allow you to reduce the infill density or use fewer skin layers to achieve the same surface quality. Give it a try!

Finally, I find the zigzag infill pattern better at joining up with skin than the lines pattern because the ends of the zigs (or zags)! get connected and so there's more likelyhood that the skin that gets printed afterwards will touch some of the infill rather than just finishing in mid-air.

Thank you for the reply.

I will have a play with the settings that you mention, I am always keen to experiment.

The prints came out fine, so I think maybe it's graphical?

IMG_20170501_104630.thumb.jpg.55d07c4ed364b4d37fa518c99f4c2da7.jpg

Yes, that looks good. As you say, it could just be that the layer view display has a problem and the print itself is fine. The revamped layer view is gorgeous but it's still rather new and perhaps there's some issues there to be ironed out. Cheers.

Did you notice any retrograde motion during the print?

While the finish is astounding, those odd movements appear to be underneath the surface layer. Just wondering if you noticed any odd jerking while it was printing the inner walls of the knurled handle.

Did you notice any retrograde motion during the print?

While the finish is astounding, those odd movements appear to be underneath the surface layer. Just wondering if you noticed any odd jerking while it was printing the inner walls of the knurled handle.

I think the effect is from from the infill. I didn't see anything untoward during the print.

Cheers,

Matt.