First layer probs

Posted · First layer probs

Bed temp = 60 and 65

Layer height = 0.1mm

Wall thickness = 2mm

Infill = 0%

Extruder temp = 200C (filament range is 195C-240C)

Using Ultimaker transparent PLA, I tried a calibration type shape because I was having issues putting down the first layer. I have been through probably 4 kg of PLA filament with no issues. It appears as if there is either a temp problem or it doesn't know where it is on the z-axis, but I have used this filament sucessfully at this temp and I've run active leveling with no good or bad change in the result. See pics below.

All of the filament diameter and extrusion settings are unchanged from my last successful print with the same filament.

Interesting complicating factor: I just upgraded recently from Cura 2.4 to Cura 2.5.0. Could that have messed something up? The problems started around that time but I am not sure if it was directly after upgrading the software. Should I downgrade and see if I have the same problems?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!

IMG_9908.thumb.JPG.43725bcdd3105287addc2e9ed9ea7185.JPG

IMG_9909.thumb.JPG.3da49644f319ab612dbc36932169a6f6.JPG

IMG_9910.thumb.JPG.2ad685a0adef93da3c3787b5de4c9bde.JPG

IMG_9908.thumb.JPG.43725bcdd3105287addc2e9ed9ea7185.JPG

IMG_9909.thumb.JPG.3da49644f319ab612dbc36932169a6f6.JPG

IMG_9910.thumb.JPG.2ad685a0adef93da3c3787b5de4c9bde.JPG

Posted (edited) · First layer probs

I think I am having the same problem.  Does it seem like your extruder is melting the plastic too much to where it's stringing real bad on the first layer?  Are you also getting stringing really bad in the middle of your print too?  I just got an UM3 so I have only used Cura 2.5

IMG_2101.thumb.JPG.47540adfd26c02cd3e4fb5bd159e8e51.JPG

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · First layer probs

I think I am having the same problem.  Does it seem like your extruder is melting the plastic too much to where it's stringing real bad on the first layer?  Are you also getting stringing really bad in the middle of your print too?  I just got an UM3 so I have only used Cura 2.5

Well at least you have a good first layer!

I have a UM3e that I've had since Jan so I have used both 2.4 and 2.5 Cura software.  I don't think it's too hot, especially since it's pretty far down on the low end of the temperature specs of the PLA.  It's almost as if the nozzle is dragging on the bed, but I'm not sure what would cause it to spontaneously start doing that and I've done active leveling a few times.  

What I think I'm going to do today:

- downgrade to 2.4 and see if that works

- manually level and see if that works

- switch to the extra hot end that came with my printer and see if that works

- curse and stomp my feet

- call customer support

Edited by Guest

Well my first layer looked like yours but not as bad.  But when the nozzle travels, all this extra filament comes out and makes strings.  I manually leveled and I still have this issue.  I sent my temp all the way to 200c and I was still having this problem.  Of course when I email MatterHackers, they say the print looks great!  :/

Have you measured if the first layer really is 0.1mm thick? In the first photo it looks much thicker, almost 0.3 to 0.5mm. Which could mean that the nozzle is too far away from the glass. (But if you had set the first layer thickness to 0.3mm it could be okay, of course.)

Also, did you clean the glass plate with soap, window cleaner, white spirit, thinners, methanol, or other cheap cleaning stuff that might leave a soap- or oil-residu, which could destroy bonding? I think it is best to clean only with isopropyl alcohol and pure warm water.

Further, I would rather start from 210 or 215°C for the first layers, and then if desired tune temp down. This too gives a better adhesion of the first layer. But if it has worked a 1000 times for you at 200°C before, this shouldn't be the problem.

So sorry I thought I replied with my fix!

I switched out hot ends to the spare that came with me UM3+ and my problem went away. That leads me to believe it wasn't software or calibration, just a messed up nozzle.