How to use support structures I made myself (import as STL in Cura)

Posted · How to use support structures I made myself (import as STL in Cura)

I like to design support structures in Rhino and Magics. Once I have finished them, I usually import them into a build processor to create the print files (incl metal printers, like 3DS ProX300 and SLM280).

Now I like to print on an Ultimaker 2 or 3, with support material in the second extruder.

QUESTION: how to import my support structures in Cura ? As regular object, however assigning 2nd extruder ?

To align objects as you wish, they need to be adjusted in your 3D package so that they all share a common pivot point.

Once in Cura, load each model part separately. Then click on a part and then, in the tab on the left side, click on the icon that looks like 3 hour glasses.

This is your 'per model' settings. You can select each extruder per model as well as select most other settings that would be found in the custom tab. Speed, support, etc. Remember that most can use the common settings, so be sure that you do not overly replicate the settings.

Once all model parts have their individual settings, then select by holding down shift and clicking on each model, or use CTRL+A (Select all) or use the select all option in the edit drop down. After that, then (with all model parts still selected) go back to the edit drop down and choose "Merge Models". this will align all selected model parts and use the pivot point to align them and then group them.

To adjust the settings, if you change your mind or think of something, you have to ungroup (In the Edit drop down) and then make your change(s). Then you go back and merge them again.

To adjust the settings, if you change your mind or think of something, you have to ungroup (In the Edit drop down) and then make your change(s). Then you go back and merge them again.

No need to ungroup. You can also Ctrl-click (or Command-click) an individual object that is inside a group. Ctrl+Shift-click also works to select multiple objects, even in different groups.

• Like 1

On topic: you can use Per Model Settings to print a model as support by adding the setting "Support Mesh" in the Per Model Settings panel and setting its value for the model you want to use as support. It will automatically get the same settings as the rest of the support.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · How to use support structures I made myself (import as STL in Cura)

Thank you. I will try this.

1) So you do not recommand to use another environment for this (like Craftware)

https://craftunique.com/craftware

2) One cannot use surfaces without volume (so no thickness) to print something as thick as a single line ? Minimal width would be the diameter of the nozzle ?

Edited by Guest

No need to ungroup. You can also Ctrl-click (or Command-click) an individual object that is inside a group. Ctrl+Shift-click also works to select multiple objects, even in different groups.

That is good info to have :) Too cool....thanks!! 8)

Posted (edited) · How to use support structures I made myself (import as STL in Cura)

To align objects as you wish, they need to be adjusted in your 3D package so that they all share a common pivot point.

Once in Cura, load each model part separately. Then click on a part and then, in the tab on the left side, click on the icon that looks like 3 hour glasses.

This is your 'per model' settings. You can select each extruder per model as well as select most other settings that would be found in the custom tab.  Speed, support, etc. Remember that most can use the common settings, so be sure that you do not overly replicate the settings.

Once all model parts have their individual settings, then select by holding down shift and clicking on each model, or use CTRL+A (Select all) or use the select all option in the edit drop down. After that, then (with all model parts still selected) go back to the edit drop down and choose "Merge Models". this will align all selected model parts and use the pivot point to align them and then group them.

Tnx !

However, as well as select most other settings that would be found in the custom tab  ... what is to you the custom tab ?   The setting that are specific for each individual extruder ?

Edited by Guest

Tnx !

However, as well as select most other settings that would be found in the custom tab  ... what is to you the custom tab ?   The setting that are specific for each individual extruder ?

In the 'per model settings' they are "Per Model" regardless of the extruder. For instance, you can change the speed of each model and such. Each model can have its own support settings (from within Cura) such as overhang and all. But, in the materials grouping there are only two of the 25 or so available settings: Default Printing Temperature and Flow. Some things must remain common as it is currently designed.

I am guessing it is the mathematical relationships as mentioned by ghostkeeper of Team Ultimaker in another thread (variable Layer Heights on a print), so you will not always find all the custom settings in the per model area.

But the simplest thing, as you have requested is to be able to tell your support models to use the extruder with the PVA filament and leave the rest to the common settings on the right hand side of the interface.