UM3 Nozzle not raising?

LePaul

Posted (edited) · UM3 Nozzle not raising?

I have an Ultimaker 3 on loan to me for an upcoming show in two weeks.

So far, this printer is having a hard life here.  There's been a few issues since unboxing and unfortunately, there is this problem too....my PLA/PVA prints are getting knocked over.

The first one happened last night and when I awoke, I have a mess of "spaghetti" all over the printer and a knocked over print.  I blamed the usual suspects...poor adhesion.  So I applied a coating of diluted PVA glue to the bed and let dry.  I've used this method on my Ultimaker 2+ and had no troubles with adhesion since.  Just to be double sure, on the next print, I selected brim.

The second print (bird in a birdcage model), is a 13 hour one.  I monitored a portion of the print remotely and went to bed.  I woke up hearing some loud noises from the printer (from upstairs!) and recorded what the printer is doing.

The entire bed moves/bounces as this is going on.  

If you watch the video closely, it looks like the PVA nozzle isn't retracting and colliding with the structure while the PLA nozzle attempts to apply it's layer.

The previous model was a thin one, the seahorse, so if this happened on that print, I can see it easily being knocked over.

Any idea how I can fix this? (The printer does have the latest firmware installed)

Edited by Guest

Posted · UM3 Nozzle not raising?

first the obvious, does it 'hit' the switch bay in the right location? if thats off you can calibrate it again from the menu. Before you try let it home properly. I can think of all kinds of reasons for this to happen, like maybe a loose pulley?

• Like 1

Posted · UM3 Nozzle not raising?

Erin saved the day

She advised the calibration process for the nozzle switch

The first time thru, it didn't work. Did it again and now it is working great.

Did a short test print and that worked! Doing a long, 21 hour print now to really test it out! So far, so good