Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
The3DPrintStudio

New 3DSolex cores

I have two UM3 Ext machines. Because of that, I have both a converted Ultimaker and a 3DSolex core. Both perform the same. I'll admit, that the 3DSolex core looks less sophisticated (almost like it was printed, although it is not). That said, I think that the retraction of the nozzle locking mechanism when inserting into and out of the print head works more smoothly on the 3DSolex core.

Purchased from https://thegr5store.com/store/

I'll admit, that the 3DSolex core looks less sophisticated (almost like it was printed, although it is not).

Are you sure? I think it's sls printed in nylon. The original plastic part from ultimaker is peek, so for sure has a higher temperature resistance. That does not mean nylon has to be an issue.... but I don't think ultimaker is using the much more expensive peek for no reason.....

• Like 1

I'll admit, that the 3DSolex core looks less sophisticated (almost like it was printed, although it is not).

Are you sure? I think it's sls printed in nylon. The original plastic part from ultimaker is peek, so for sure has a higher temperature resistance. That does not mean nylon has to be an issue.... but I don't think ultimaker is using the much more expensive peek for no reason.....

No, I'm not saying I know for sure how the 3DSolex core is made. If you believe they are indeed printed in nylon you may very well be correct. I can say for sure that in my limited experience (300 hours or so on two different UM3 Ext machines that I own) I have seen no discernible difference in printing performance between the 3DSolex, with a .4 nozzle, and original Ultimaker cores using PLA material exclusively, from various sources. In addition, IMHO the squeezing / locking mechanism of the 3DSolex core is smoother and more effortless.