Screw hardware for UM3

Posted · Screw hardware for UM3

I want to build a door for my UM3 and I'm trying to find the screw size. I found posts for the UM2+ saying that they're M3 screws. Anyone know if they are the same for the UM3? Anyone know the screw lengths for the front panels? (so I know how much longer to get to affix my door).

Anything I should be aware of before I go removing screws? (I'm gonna do it one at a time, carefully)

99.71% (roughly) of the screws on the UMO and UM2 are 3mm standard pitch also known as M3 screws. And they are all button head with the 2mm hex screwdriver style.

It's an M3 screw, but I echo what ultijaran said. I don't recommend unscrewing the frame panels of your printer...ever. Short of having to replace one of them, everything you ever need to access can be accessed without removing them. Removing any of the frame panels will generally throw your XY axis out of alignment and it will need to be recalibrated. I would definitely go with a door that pops into place, or hangs on a hook over the top.

Thanks for the help. I ended up unscrewing the screws from the side of the frame, but only two at a time, so I don't think I've messed with the rigidity of the frame... (I didn't remove any panels!).

I'll post pictures of it when i'm done, but basically I created a barral hinge and mounted the hinge to the frame by buying 20mm M3 screws (manually tightened the screws as to not over tighten). I connected via the upper two screws for one hinge and the lower two screws for the lower hinge. So far it's working out well.

I made the door with 1/2" acrylic, which I realized afterwards was overkill, but it looks really nice. I mounted the hinges in a way that the acrylic closes flush with the front panel.

Next step is the upper enclosure (1/4" acrylic for this one...)

Glad you were able to make it work! Pictures?

Here are some pics.

Image Gallery

Looks great!