Problem with cura i can't figure out

Black_Hawk

Posted · Problem with cura i can't figure out

Hello!

I have an annoying problem with the support in cura. When support is on it causes that you can see in the images. It places support under the model for no reason. Cura places the model for som reason a little bit up in the air. When i turn off supports it places the model at the buildplate as i want it to, but i do need the support too.

Can someone help me with this problem? Is it a bug?

1.thumb.png.401ce041713de3190f43a9c7ad321d45.png

2.thumb.png.52156224d432eeb992600d7b4f7913da.png

1.thumb.png.401ce041713de3190f43a9c7ad321d45.png

2.thumb.png.52156224d432eeb992600d7b4f7913da.png

I'm not sure why Cura is doing that when you turn on brim, but you can try to adjust the z-position of the model to slightly below the build plate, e.g., -0.3mm or something like that, and see it still sits above the plate. I've done that occasionally when a part does not have a flat bottom.

• Like 1

All it takes is one vertex to be out of alignment or just enough tilt to throw it off.

But, to be clear, does it only happen if the support is on? If you slice without support, does the model sit cleanly on the buildplate?

In such cases where it does sit up off the plate, rowiac stated, you can just move it down slightly, but to do so easily, go into preferences and turn off 'drop model on buildplate' or it will fight you. But, you will get great response to that and be able to type in negative distances.

All it takes is one vertex to be out of alignment or just enough tilt to throw it off.

But, to be clear, does it only happen if the support is on? If you slice without support, does the model sit cleanly on the buildplate?

In such cases where it does sit up off the plate, rowiac stated, you can just move it down slightly, but to do so easily, go into preferences and turn off 'drop model on buildplate' or it will fight you. But, you will get great response to that and be able to type in negative distances.

This model have been through 3d builder to fix any problems with the model then put in mashmixer to be cut to fit the bed.

I have placed the flat side down. When i turn off support the model sits cleanly on the buildplate yes.

I am aware of that i can go negative in z axis, but it is very annoying to have to do this to every part...

Posted (edited) · Problem with cura i can't figure out

It sounds like you may have a 'floating vertex'. I have found that personally exploring the model in all its parts to be more efficient than trusting software to automate the process. I find things that software often misses. And, sometimes, software finds things I miss.

Edit: I did some tests and Cura will ignore a single, unattached vertex. But all one vertex needs to be out of alignment to throw it off is -0.25MM.

But, I wonder if maybe you have the brim, somehow, turned on to put it under the model and not just outside or some weird action with the model itself.

But, I cannot replicate the issue by creating a new object. Would you be opposed to putting the model up for someone to inspect?

I also notice that it is the support you mention. I am trying to replicate this and I have not been able to. But, I remember support being placed under an object a while ago and for the life of me, I cannot remember what I did that got rid of the problem.

Edited by Guest

It sounds like you may have a 'floating vertex'. I have found that personally exploring the model in all its parts to be more efficient than trusting software to automate the process. I find things that software often misses. And, sometimes, software finds things I miss.

Edit: I did some tests and Cura will ignore a single, unattached vertex. But all one vertex needs to be out of alignment to throw it off is -0.25MM.

But, I wonder if maybe you have the brim, somehow, turned on to put it under the model and not just outside or some weird action with the model itself.

But, I cannot replicate the issue by creating a new object. Would you be opposed to putting the model up for someone to inspect?

I also notice that it is the support you mention. I am trying to replicate this and I have not been able to. But, I remember support being placed under an object a while ago and for the life of me, I cannot remember what I did that got rid of the problem.

Here you can have a look and see:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AratnT1lYlDf0VKQdMLWGHAKiuR_

Cura was not the issue. It was the model. Here are the steps to identify and fix without getting into specifics as each package used will be slightly different, but the procedure remains the same. And, this is why I rarely use online models. It is almost as much a pain to fix as to build properly from the beginning.

1_Helmet Problem.jpg

2_Helmet Problem.jpg

3_Helmet Problem.jpg

4_Helmet Problem.jpg

5_Helmet Problem.jpg

6_Helmet Problem.jpg

7_Helmet Problem.jpg

8_Helmet Problem.jpg

9_Helmet Problem.jpg

And the fixed Helmet piece that I did to check it with:

Face Plate Fixed

• Like 1

Cura was not the issue. It was the model. Here are the steps to identify and fix without getting into specifics as each package used will be slightly different, but the procedure remains the same. And, this is why I rarely use online models. It is almost as much a pain to fix as to build properly from the beginning.

1_Helmet Problem.jpg

2_Helmet Problem.jpg

3_Helmet Problem.jpg

4_Helmet Problem.jpg

5_Helmet Problem.jpg

6_Helmet Problem.jpg

7_Helmet Problem.jpg

8_Helmet Problem.jpg

9_Helmet Problem.jpg

And the fixed Helmet piece that I did to check it with:

Face Plate Fixed

Thanks!

I went in the meshmixer file and it seem the problem starts here. This haven't been a problem before so i'll have a look into it.

Sorry about the file. It's one of my earlier works, so it is a little messy after going through the fixer and then being cut in meshmixer. none of these programs are online. 3d builder which is integrated program in win 10 for fixing the object and can be used as a slicer.

Thanks!

I went in the meshmixer file and it seem the problem starts here. This haven't been a problem before so i'll have a look into it.

Sorry about the file. It's one of my earlier works, so it is a little messy after going through the fixer and then being cut in meshmixer. none of these programs are online. 3d builder which is integrated program in win 10 for fixing the object and can be used as a slicer.

You are quite welcome :)We all have to start somewhere and it is almost always the easiest thing that goes wrong. As you build you knowledge and successes, things will become easier. Although, to be honest, failure teaches me more as I never know if things go right because I got it right or got it lucky. :p

Good Luck!!

Edited by Guest

Thanks!

You are quite welcome :)We all have to start somewhere and it is almost always the easiest thing that goes wrong. As you build you knowledge and successes, things will become easier. Although, to be honest, failure teaches me more as I never know if things go right because I got it right or got it lucky. :p

Good Luck!!

haha xD success shorted lived >.<

I am beginning to belive this is a bug i cura now. I have done what you did, but in cinema 4d that i use.

1.thumb.png.f8c68a3d64742369e9250fe9cf5d9a28.png

to show they are connected:

2.thumb.png.322adb551f15b9331ffd98619a86f6f9.png

I combined those two parts and fused them togheter to be a watertight object. The error is still there when i export it as obj and place it in cura 2.5.

Yours on the left and mine on the left:

4.thumb.png.fac395199b81210548743f6cfed25e04.png

But whats intresting is that when i put it in cura 15.04.6 it places on the buildplate just fine.

3.thumb.png.339b43e570696b045c43d628644610c8.png

I do not think it is Cura as it just may be more sensitive.

Can you up the model you made and let me take a look?

I do not think it is Cura as it just may be more sensitive.

Can you up the model you made and let me take a look?

Here you go: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AratnT1lYlDf0VW2H6jsIJ8STsCW

I got it to work. You can find the file here.

Now, what happened was I had to even out the file in a 3D Package, i.e. put the cut area flat. Then I had to readjust the pivot point. Once I realigned the pivot point, I could yank it around to any place and it would work, so I am not sure what it was holding onto from the original pivot point, but changing it to center of model and then to the base of the model worked.

Cura 2.X may be very sensitive to the pivot location as it wanted to hold on to it a bit. I have only been using cura since 2.3 so I have adapted to this as it seemed natural. I do not know if it is better or not.

But, fundamentals are everything. Cut perpendicular to the Z Axis when possible. Y Axis in other packages, but Z axis in Cura. Reset your pivot points to where it sits right on the bottom. And I have developed a set of working conditions that solve 99.9% of issues you can encounter. I basically do not think the software will do all it is cracked up to do. And, I depend on that rather than the software. This is not limited to any manufacturer. Every once in a while, Cura does get cranky about the placement of objects, but it is rare by adopting basic fundamental practices.

Cutting objects can be done based on angular needs (Not perpendicular , but must be rotated to be flat on the buildplate at import into cura), but the flat part should be realigned to the buildplate as I have done. The part I examined still had the pivot point way away and the mesh tilted.

No matter what part I make, I do that so that each part will sit nicely.

I did check the flatness of the created parts and that was not an issue, so whatever capping op you performed was not the issue. That was the first few looks I had; make sure the mesh was clean (Hence being version C). Overly triangulated, but flat. Could have been the package you used in how it builds faces. I noticed everything was a tri and no quads. Quads rule as they are more robust as well as can be triangulated when needed by a package that cannot work in quads.

Edited by Guest