What happens when I change the speed during a print..

cairn

Posted · What happens when I change the speed during a print..

.. I mean, say during a print I use the hardware control on the UM2 to Tune/speed/125%. Is the speed of motion the only thing effected, or does the flow rate also scale up at the same time? (I wouldn't expect the temp to change as well, but correct me if I'm wrong..)

Cheers, C

On my UM2s the speed of printing increases, and the speed of extrusion changes accordingly (so you get the same filling of the model); but also the speed of traveling increases. It does not change temp.

However, if you make brutal speed changes halfway a print, you will see that in the model: it gives different ringing effects around corners, and if the model is small, the difference in cooling time per layer is also visible. Further, if the speed increases brutally, filament has less time to melt in the nozzle, which will give a higher pressure and less extrusion. This is also visible in the print as a faint horizontal line.

• Like 1

On my UM2s the speed of printing increases, and the speed of extrusion changes accordingly (so you get the same filling of the model); but also the speed of traveling increases. It does not change temp.

Thanks, That's exactly what I needed to know..