Looking for a drone project!

jabamun01

Posted · Looking for a drone project!

Hello! As the title says, I'm looking for a pre-designed drone to 3d print and assemble. It should be a racing quadcopter (rectangular shape) and my budget is about €250 (no need for FPV for now). I've looked at the Hovership MHQ2 but it looks discontinued since 2014 or 2015 and somewhat outdated. However, I'd like something similar to the mhq2, maybe smaller.

Thanks for reading and helping!

Do you think I'd take the time to post a new thread before googling? By the way, the drone you have found is the MHQ2, which I said I already knew (please read my post accordingly before answering).

Thanks!

Do you think I'd take the time to post a new thread before googling? By the way, the drone you have found is the MHQ2, which I said I already knew (please read my post accordingly before answering).

Thanks!

I dunno, it did not look like you were asking for anything else. Let us see.....

....I've looked at the Hovership MHQ2 but it looks discontinued since 2014 or 2015 and somewhat outdated. However, I'd like something similar to the mhq2.....

So, hmmm, If I read this right, you looked at a discontinued model, said it should be like that model and I found that model and that only the electronics would be a cost. Seems to have met the criteria. And, you did not state how much of a search if any that you may or may not have made.

Now, if I wanted to be snarky the reply would have been

"Learn to design and use a friggin' 3D Package and not depend on others..."

Or.....

"How about taking the model and just scaling it in Cura?"

Or any number of other things.

1. I do not know you or what your habits are. But your message was, to me, not specific enough to warrant your reply.

2. I did not make assumptions about you, but may have interpreted your message wrong. But you assumed I did not read the message. That is on you. I may have screwed up the interpretation of the message, but I did take it literally and did not make assumptions. That is always on me.

3. If you had bothered to read my bio, you would have found I have Asperger's and that entails communication issues. And in all my posts, I have been nothing but helpful and have made a few communication gaffes.

4. If I was to make the assumptions you did, then I would see 6 posts, be snarky and make fun of you for being a noob, like they used to do in other forums when people asked questions. That reply was along the lines of "RTFM and then come back."

5. And just because you knew about a model did not mean you were not looking for it. If you want 'something like' that model, you are the only judge of that as there are too many to choose from for others to make that easy for you.

Thanks!

I dunno, it did not look like you were asking for anything else. Let us see.....

....I've looked at the Hovership MHQ2 but it looks discontinued since 2014 or 2015 and somewhat outdated. However, I'd like something similar to the mhq2.....

So, hmmm, If I read this right, you looked at a discontinued model, said it should be like that model and I found that model and that only the electronics would be a cost. Seems to have met the criteria. And, you did not state how much of a search if any that you may or may not have made.

Now, if I wanted to be snarky the reply would have been

"Learn to design and use a friggin' 3D Package and not depend on others..."

Or.....

"How about taking the model and just scaling it in Cura?"

Or any number of other things.

1. I do not know you or what your habits are. But your message was, to me, not specific enough to warrant your reply.

2. I did not make assumptions about you, but may have interpreted your message wrong. But you assumed I did not read the message. That is on you. I may have screwed up the interpretation of the message, but I did take it literally and did not make assumptions. That is always on me.

3. If you had bothered to read my bio, you would have found I have Asperger's and that entails communication issues. And in all my posts, I have been nothing but helpful and have made a few communication gaffes.

4. If I was to make the assumptions you did, then I would see 6 posts, be snarky and make fun of you for being a noob, like they used to do in other forums when people asked questions. That reply was along the lines of "RTFM and then come back."

5. And just because you knew about a model did not mean you were not looking for it. If you want 'something like' that model, you are the only judge of that as there are too many to choose from for others to make that easy for you.

Good points, I must admit. Now, to clear things up, I do know how to design seni-complex things but I do not know enough about drone aerodynamics to design a working one. I meant I liked the MHQ2's design but I'd rather go for a still supported one, just to make sure I have somewhere to ask if something goes wrong (as you said, I'm kind of a noob).

And I'm sorry if my last post looked disrespectful, I have nothing against you and I'm thankful for your help. After reading your reply, I agree that my initial post needed some more specification.

Ummmmm, not sure what you mean by supported. I believe you can still get the electronics and it appears at a glance that the electronics are still very much like the current models.

But, I must admit that you may be in for a bit of a search if you are looking for a complete kit. Although they are downsizing quite a bit, have you tried something like Radioshack? Buy a drone and then backwards engineer it?

For me, the fun would be to gut it and then really play with designs as the printing would be the replaceable parts. You could even make your own Drone Millennium Falcon HA !! :p But, that shows my geekiness.

Posted (edited) · Looking for a drone project!

Whooah! Wouldn't buying a drone and then engineering it be more expensive?

By unsupported I mean that their page is no longer selling stuff, so I don't think they are attending tickets, support chats, and so. While I could (and would, anyways) buy the electronics at hobbyking, I'd like to go for a more modern (i.e. smaller) and still supported drone. Do you thing is there such a thing? Otherways I'll just make the MHQ2 as I know it's still pretty good.

Edit: some text got cropped.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Looking for a drone project!

A while ago there was a small attempt to design and build a drone (quadcopter) within the community, but unfortunately it didn't make it to the finishline. There was some interest though, so perhaps you could re-ignite it? ;)

Have you also checked places like these forums?

There also seem to be some references here.

Edited by Guest
    add link
    • Like 1

Whooah! Wouldn't buying a drone and then engineering it be more expensive?

I dunno LOL But I just bought two airhog Enterprise drones for$38 (ish) USD to gut for the electronics and lights.

I really have no idea. Was just tossing silly things out I guess :p

But Sander had a good post above mine.

I will definitely check these ideas out when I have the time. Thanks to both of you!