Losing Layer 1 On 2nd Extruder After Dual Color Merge

ffco

Posted · Losing Layer 1 On 2nd Extruder After Dual Color Merge

UM3, Cura 2.6 Release. Utilizing the included profiles within Cura (fine-0.1)

When I import each separate stl, I get brims on both models and everything looks good:

5a333c6d26f32_ScreenShot2017-06-26at12_29_27PM.thumb.png.0e61ec0a3d8b73bf59b9aae1fe07f612.png

After merging the models, I lose layer 1 on the second extruder (which includes the brim on the second extruder):

5a333c6d7208b_ScreenShot2017-06-26at12_32_08PM.thumb.png.42d5d0a110d437a9e2eddebcea9e9f63.png

5a333c6d84bf6_ScreenShot2017-06-26at12_32_28PM.thumb.png.74dd632862a74a6d6c258507f64e79f2.png

Am I missing something here or is there an issue?

5a333c6d26f32_ScreenShot2017-06-26at12_29_27PM.thumb.png.0e61ec0a3d8b73bf59b9aae1fe07f612.png

5a333c6d7208b_ScreenShot2017-06-26at12_32_08PM.thumb.png.42d5d0a110d437a9e2eddebcea9e9f63.png

5a333c6d84bf6_ScreenShot2017-06-26at12_32_28PM.thumb.png.74dd632862a74a6d6c258507f64e79f2.png

When the models merge there must be a slight difference in height. Does everything in the model seem to line up once merged?

You could try lowering the print into the bed about 0.3 and see if that works.

I think if you have your two stl files set up correctly, you should not get a brim for the second model. Basically, merging two models means you get a single model which is printed with different sections having different colors... but still, a single model. That model just has one brim. In my experience, you get both extruders laying down filament at the layer 1 level (0.2mm for me) but only one brim (laid down by extruder 1). Watch the Z height during the print the height of the first instance of using extruder 2 isn't at the same height as the first instance of using extruder 1. My guess is that they are the same and you just expected (incorrectly) a brim from extruder 2.

I think if you have your two stl files set up correctly, you should not get a brim for the second model. Basically, merging two models means you get a single model which is printed with different sections having different colors... but still, a single model. That model just has one brim. In my experience, you get both extruders laying down filament at the layer 1 level (0.2mm for me) but only one brim (laid down by extruder 1). Watch the Z height during the print the height of the first instance of using extruder 2 isn't at the same height as the first instance of using extruder 1. My guess is that they are the same and you just expected (incorrectly) a brim from extruder 2.

It should provide a brim around both items but by only one extruder if they are both on the glass. even if its 2 models merged as 1.

In the pictures above there is no brim around one item but it also didn't even print the first layer for that item.

So it should show brim around both and a first layer around both on layer 1.

I'm guessing it's an issue with this model, but here's the model if anyone wants to try it out on their own to see if they get similar results:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1936316/#files

I initially was using the "dual cape_v2", but have also tried some other combinations. Seem to get similar outcome of the feet not touching. I even put supports on, and it didn't seem to build supports under the feet that were in the air which seemed weird.

Whut wint rong....Need me uh beer..... :p

Ok, simple fix. Here is what I found. Real quick and easy. And, shows just how a few simple fundamentals goes a loooooong way. First, I noticed in the download file there was a MAX file. Now, MAX likes to work at 0,0,0. And, all pivots should be placed there and oriented in the proper direction (Z-Up) so that it is 'bound' to the same world coordinates that Cura operates in.

First I loaded the file and each part touched the ground and brimmed real sweet.

Individually_AllOK.jpg

But, when merged, they did what you experienced.

Yup_NotWorkingRightOutOfBox.jpg

So, I took it into MAX, and moved it all to 0,0,0 because I am very anal that way. Why? Well, it solves 90% of all problems. And, I am very routine bound, but it works, so no complaints from me. Still had the same problem as in the above image.

So, I took a closer look and ayup, an error in the modeling. The cape actually goes BELOW the feet. So, when merged, it becomes the base and the feet float a bit above the ground plane.

CapeIsBelowFeet.jpg

So, back into MAX, moved the verts at the bottom of the cape to the Z Plane 0 which made it even with the feet.

DarthFeetCapeEven.jpg

And, now it works. Fundamentals save the day almost all the time. :)

DarthFxed.jpg

Now, it would be cruel to not put up the file after all that, but you should almost always assume that a downloaded model is faulty. Why? Because most people do not actually know what they are doing to make things really correctly. Usually, just 'good enough' at best, and truly horrific at worst. It is why I usually model my own stuff from scratch. In a lot of cases, it is easier. But, do not despair, there are some good models out there. Oddly, the ones that have the most lavish attention on them are the ones that are about outlandish female anatomy.

Just remember who showed you some luv ;) LOL

Darth Fixed

You da man! Thanks. I will check out MAX too.

Posted (edited) · Losing Layer 1 On 2nd Extruder After Dual Color Merge

You da man!  Thanks. I will check out MAX too.

[

]Ohhh,,,uh uh uh garsh [/
    ]

Actually, I would look at free alternatives first unless you have a great budget. Although I do like MAX, it is like having a relationship with the wife (MAX), but you hate the mother-in-law (Autodesk). And that ol' battleaxe has made me look at alternatives and start to step out. I just used it because I am most familiar with it.

Edited by Guest