Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
sinnnnna

Developer mode documentation

Hi everybody,

Is there any documentation for the developer mode of Ultimaker 3?

I use Linux all the time, but the Linux version on UM3 does not let me do much, at least, I don't know how to use it. I only found a post from @Daid ( https://ultimaker.com/en/community/23428-inside-the-ultimaker-3-day-5-developer-mode-linux-systemd ) which I could not use it.

My problem is that after I ssh to the 3D printer, I only have few limited options: (exec, exit, get, help, list, select, set, and sendgcode). I don't know how to actually run Linux commands there. For instance, right now I am trying to set a static IP for my UM3. I know how to do it on a desktop distribution of Linux, but I cannot run any similar command on the version of Linux installed on UM3.

If its really is Debian (jessie build), then static IP assignment might be as easy as:

nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf

Then add these lines to the bottom:

interface eth0static ip_address=192.168.1.3/24static routers=192.168.3.1.1static domain_name_servers=8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

interface is what's connected to your network (eth0, wlan0, etc). Use:

ifconfig

To see which interface name has an IP address.

static ip_address is what you want to assign to your Ultimaker (you'll usually keep the /24 netmask)

static router is the IP address of your router.

static domain_name_servers is optional if your router doesn't provide them, or you want to use specific ones (these are Google's)

I think the key point is: login as "root" (same password as the ultimaker user). Good luck, and if you've managed the static IP thing... a step-by-step docu would be very nice... :)

Thanks ... This solved my issue in the connection and running linux commands. It is weird that it was not mentioned anyplace online to do that.

If its really is Debian (jessie build), then static IP assignment might be as easy as:

nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf

Then add these lines to the bottom:

interface eth0
static ip_address=192.168.1.3/24
static routers=192.168.3.1.1
static domain_name_servers=8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

interface is what's connected to your network (eth0, wlan0, etc). Use:

ifconfig

To see which interface name has an IP address.

static ip_address is what you want to assign to your Ultimaker (you'll usually keep the /24 netmask)

static router is the IP address of your router.

static domain_name_servers is optional if your router doesn't provide them, or you want to use specific ones (these are Google's)

I will try this approach tomorrow. If it works, I will share it here.