Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Hi Folks

I want to isolate my Hotends.

Background is to cool down the printed object faster and don't reheat it by reflected heat from the heaterblocks. Worked excellent on my UMO+.

I used these stickers from ebay. wrapped with Kapton-tape.

Now I'm thinking about a silicon-sock like the E3Ds.

Will this be better/worse?

Is there a shop selling such socks for the UM2 Hotends? 20170731_125404.thumb.jpg.f10b49150879356c6730929326ff9749.jpg

20170731_125404.thumb.jpg.f10b49150879356c6730929326ff9749.jpg

Since you don't have a fancap to redirect the air, I would suggest you use one (printed on greentec-platec or a hightemp material using some high temp aluminum tape can make a fancap that last for a LOOONG time). Then, to isolate even more the air hitting the heater blocks, I use the E3D silicon socks, and cut with an exacto some of the thing, and along the fancap hole and the system, all stays put and doesn't move.

Ofc if you take into account the sock design, you could make a fancap that also holds the sock better, but so far no issues. Ofc, they don't last forever, more like 4-5 months tops, and with sticky materials they erode quite fast. But even so, they give me a much more controlled heat on the blocks, specially since my fans give much more air than others.

• Like 1