Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
paul9

Over-extrusion problem after converting to 1.75mm filaments.

Hi everybody!

A year ago I decided to convert my Ultimaker 2 into 2+.

I've seen that you could buy from 3D Solex an Olsson kit that used 1.75mm filaments.

So I decided to convert my Ultimaker 2 with the 3D Solex Olsson kit and also buy the feeder kit from Bondtech for 1.75mm filaments so I do not have any problem.

Unfortunately, for a year, every time I print I have problems with overextrusion.

I modified the firmware using the one developed by Tinkergnome and I am forced to modify the flow of material by reducing the flow from 100% to 68% when the print is vertical while I have to increase it to 75% when mold horizontal parts all if I use the ' 0.6 mm nozzle.

If instead I use the 0.4mm nozzle things change again I need to increase the flow values.

All this without being able to get perfect prints as it was before the conversion.

It's been a year since I'm going to make changes to the flow but I always have a lot of extrusion, a flow of material that comes out.

VistaFrontale.thumb.jpg.ad5021a47e1f66d7b19fb2a43dd6005e.jpg

Vista_Piana.thumb.jpg.201ba37dfbb153a7b1ea4816d47be7e1.jpg

VistaFrontale.thumb.jpg.ad5021a47e1f66d7b19fb2a43dd6005e.jpg

Vista_Piana.thumb.jpg.201ba37dfbb153a7b1ea4816d47be7e1.jpg

Do you use the default temperatures for the 0.4mm and 0.6mm nozzle or did you change those values in the firmware?

I've changed, I've tried different temperatures from 206 to 210 degrees Celsius.

That's not too much. You may vary temperature a bit more, but don't go over 230°C for PLA.

Hi to all !

Hi paul9 !

Have you tried calibrating the extruder to see how much your outing out

I think bob-hepple is right,

Independently of the material diameter use,

The extruder Estep calibration was the first thing to do, it's easy to do if you use the Tinkergnome firmware. ( hightly recommanded)

If use the UM2+ Extruder , here the process

With the rotary button, clic on Tinker control board

Advanced

Preference

Motion settings

Axis steps mm

clic on E "nnn.nn" the value indicated (note this)

clic on it to change it by this new value : 341.62

do not forget to clic on "Store" before go back

Done !

This will be a good average base, (may be it will need to adjust a bit if use the Tom's guide process for sample)

Here the math formula

Esteps/mm = (Nr.motor steps rev * Nr.driver micro steps) * (Nr.big gear teeth / Nr.small gear teeth) / (effective grooved gear diameter * PI)

Extruder UM2+ - Nema 17-200-16 and 36T/11T reduction gears

Deep groove gear diameter 9.75mm

(200*16) * (36/11) / (9.75*3.1416) = 341.62

Hi to all !

Hi paul9 !

Have you tried calibrating the extruder to see how much your outing out

I think  bob-hepple is right,

Independently of the material diameter use,

The extruder Estep calibration was the first thing to do, it's easy to do if you use the Tinkergnome firmware. ( hightly recommanded)

If use the UM2+ Extruder , here the process

With the rotary button, clic on Tinker control board

Advanced

Preference

Motion settings

Axis steps mm

clic on E "nnn.nn"  the value indicated (note this)

clic on it to change it by this new value :  341.62

do not forget to clic on "Store"  before go back

Done !

This will be a good average base, (may be it will need to adjust a bit if use the Tom's guide process for sample)

Here the math formula

Esteps/mm = (Nr.motor steps rev * Nr.driver micro steps) * (Nr.big gear teeth / Nr.small gear teeth) / (effective grooved gear diameter * PI)

Extruder UM2+   -     Nema 17-200-16 and 36T/11T reduction gears

Deep groove gear diameter  9.75mm

(200*16) * (36/11) / (9.75*3.1416) = 341.62

Thank you Gudo,

But I understand after some considerations that actually the problem is not overextrusion but cooling. I can not immediately cool the material while printing and create an effect that seems to be over extrusion.